VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
As some of you know I just got a 1.8 16v from a 87 gti. Now I have a couple of questions about parts interchangeability. Ill list them so it looks a little cleaner.
1. Can I use my stock 16v exhaust mani with a 16v rocco dp or do I need both of them from a 16v rocco ???
2. If I get the 16v rocco upper intake mani can I use my 16v tb or do I need the tb from a 16v rocco also ??
3. Im a little confused on the whole engine mount thing. Witch engine mounts do I need if any ?
I think that's it for now... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Re: A1 16v Questions... (Captain16vGTI)

you need the scirocco exhaust manifold, the mk2 one wont line up properly. all of the mounts in your car now will bolt up to the ones on the mk2 motor, once you get everything apart it's really self explanitory. i don't know about the tb, i just used the mk2 stuff on mine.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: A1 16v Questions... (kaltblutig)

Ok so I do need both the dp and exhaust mani from the 16v rocco..
And the tb should work. Im worried that when I use the tb on the opposite side the lever will be in the wrong place.
And for the engine mounts. I use all the mounts that are on my 8v block ?? Will they just bolt to the 16v engine ???
Im also using the 8v tranny. If I use my 8v flywheel all I need is a 16v pp with an 8v clutch right ?? Thanks guys.
Chris

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Captain16vGTI »
And the tb should work. Im worried that when I use the tb on the opposite side the lever will be in the wrong place.

thats what i was thinking, but, would have to see them side by side... not sure

And for the engine mounts. I use all the mounts that are on my 8v block ?? Will they just bolt to the 16v engine ???

yep

Im also using the 8v tranny. If I use my 8v flywheel all I need is a 16v pp with an 8v clutch right ?? Thanks guys.

you could even use the 16v flywheel
the only thing that is important is that you use an 8v clutch disk so that the imput shaft works

·
Registered
975 Posts

yep.
That's a good point that is making me second guess, I don't have both my tb anymore, just the Scirocco one.
You are putting it in the 84? All will work except the passenger side one. You will need the 16v Scirocco mount.
The only parts that MUST match are the trannyinput shaft and the clutch disk. You can use either the 8v or the 16v pressure plate.
Chris

Modified by kaltblutig at 10:16 PM 9-20-2004

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: A1 16v Questions... (kaltblutig)

You guys have been a huge help http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Thank you very much. These Are on me

Chris

Modified by Captain16vGTI at 7:34 PM 9-20-2004

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: A1 16v Questions... (marat_g60)

Well on the tt tuning website there are two parts listed. The 16v rocco mount its self or the 16v rocco mount bracket with mount already inserted in to it. Do all I need is the mount or do I need the bracket to ?? Thanks guys

Chris

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Re: A1 16v Questions... (marat_g60)

i have some mk1 motor mounts w/ brackets i can sell you.
btw, if you're swapping the 16v into your rabbit, you can just use the mounts & brackets off of your rabbit.
you will need to put the passenger side mk1 mount & bracket on the 16v motor though, since the 16v is from a car w/ hydro mounts.
it's all incredibly easy. remove the a/c if you haven't already, makes working on it alot easier. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by kobidge at 4:53 AM 9-21-2004

·
Registered
975 Posts
Re: A1 16v Questions... (kobidge)

Well some other guys are saying the Rabbit mount will work, but I was pretty sure that the 16v in the A1 chassis needed the 16v Scirocco side mount. It is offset and is model specific. I can email you a pic of mine, but I am too computer illiterate to figure out how to post it here. AFAIK the mount locations in the Scirocco are the same as the rest of the A1 chassis cars, so why would VW use a different mount if the non-offset one would work? I guess you could try the old mount and if it didn't work switch it, but it would be a pain. I think you need the bracket and the mount. I'll try to do some digging around to find out. Email TT and they can give you a for sure answer. They are swap experts.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Well ive been doing a little reading here and there. So far I have found out that the 16v engine is a tiny tiny bit longer then the 8v.. something like 1 cm longer.. I don't know if this is true but that's what I read.
It looks like the side bracket is the same but the actual side mount that inserts into that bracket is a tiny bit smaller do to the engines size difference.
I think what I need is the 16v rocco mount its self and it should mount into my rabbit side bracket. I cant find any part numbers on the side engine bracket to find out if they are any different.
The side engine mount from the 16v rocco to the rabbit is different for sure... whole different part number. Check out the tt site and you'll see the different side mount part numbers.
http://techtonicstuning.com/di...id=17

·
Registered
4,786 Posts

you do not NEED the scirocco side mount, your solid rabbit one will work JUST FINE!
unless you're putting it into a scirocco, then use the scirocco mounts, but i take it you're putting it into your rabbit.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Well I have to get new mounts all around anyway. So I think im just gonna get all new rabbit mounts. I believe kobidge is right. Maybe the rocco its self is a little different. Thanks guys

Chris

·
Registered
975 Posts

Well the 8v mounts for Scirocco and rabbit are the same so I don't think there's a differnce in the mount locations. TT says it's an offset bushing in the mount. She could be right though. Best of luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.