VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bushing is located inside a metal bracket and supports the long shift rod undernrath the car. the dealer has the piece but comes iwth the metal bracket. all i need is the bushing. I hav eused the A2 bushing but the inside is too big and worst than the worn out one.
anyone have any ideas where to locate the bushing only?
thanks,

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: A1 Main Shift Rod bushing. (scirocco16valve)

I think that bishing is not available separately, only as part of the bracket.
Its called the "shift rod bearing assembly" in the diagram below:
http://www.MissingLinkZ.com/ShiftLinkage.shtml

Modified by VWCaddy at 9:46 AM 6-29-2003

Modified by VWCaddy at 2:19 PM 10-17-2004

·
Banned
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: A1 Main Shift Rod bushing. (at4gli)

sorry bro but thati sthe bushing kit i bought and the budhing inner diameter is about 14-15 mm while i need a 12-13 mm. it is not made for the A1 application but A2.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

I should be able to machine one of those, once I finish tearing mine apart to get the dimensions.

·
Banned
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: A1 Main Shift Rod bushing. (VWCaddy)

Quote, originally posted by VWCaddy »
I should be able to machine one of those, once I finish tearing mine apart to get the dimensions.

what material are you gonna use and any pics?
very interested.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

Like my other shift linkage bushings:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel...hings

I'll probably use UHMW polyethylene to replace the stock polyurethane bushing. I may also do a Teflon version if it looks like the application warrants the added cost. The UHMW material seems to hold up well, it is not affected by oil and heat like PU, which seems to get brittle and crack in that environment.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

Yes, I understand, I merely posted a picture of the relay shaft bushings to show you the material and some information on those bushings since I plan to (and am) using the same material to make the shift rod bearing.
And here it is:

More info:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel...aring

·
Banned
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

WOW that looks AWESOME

Yes, I understand, I merely posted a picture of the relay shaft bushings to show you the material and some information on those bushings since I plan to (and am) using the same material to make the shift rod bearing.
And here it is:

More info:
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel...aring

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

Should have parts ready to ship in the morning. Not bad, about 3 hours from concept to finished product, including time to do the web page updates for on-line ordering and the installation instructions.

·
Banned
10,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Should have parts ready to ship in the morning. Not bad, about 3 hours from concept to finished product, including time to do the web page updates for on-line ordering and the installation instructions.

so did you have time to test it yet? what are the results?
i was looking for this like for ages
thanks
i ordered 2

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

I put the first set on my '82, seems to work just fine. My old bushing was not that badly worn (which is why I did not have a replacement for this part, figured if my 280K mile diesel had not worn that bushing out in 22 years, nothing would), so I can't really say its a huge improvment, does feel a bit more solid and very smooth. Very tight fit, a little hard to push the bushing over the splined part of the shift rod, but it'll go. Same material I have been using for about 4 years now on the relay shaft bushings without any problems, so it should work well here. The relay shaft is the same 14mm shaft as the shift rod, so using the same tooling to make the holes, etc. Picked up the small screws and nylock nuts, so should make a very clean install. Hardest part is drilling out the old factory rivets, they want to spin under the drill bit.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

Package is in the mail, you should be receiving it some time the week of the 11th. Let me know how the bearing kit fits and how it works in place of your worn out bearing. Like I said, mine was not in too bad of a condition, so I can't really compare the feel to a really worn out bearing.

Also, if anyone is interested in an A2 or A3 version of this upgraded bushing, all I need is the OD of the A2 or A3 shift rod. It is larger than the A1, possibly 17mm judging by the old worn out "orange" bushing I have:

http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel...#FAQ9
While there is a replacement bushing available for the A2 and A3 shift rod, I could make a replacement similar to the A1 bushing if there is interest. Cost would be the same as the A1 part.

Modified by VWCaddy at 1:30 PM 10-8-2004

1 - 20 of 48 Posts