VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm....i don't know if i'm violating the crossposting rules by posting this here but i've posted a question on the lighting forum and so far (it's been a week)...no reply

anyways my question deals first of all with the stock fogs...as we all know the stock A2 fogs are anything but cosmetic so i was thinking of upgrading them to something brighter. Phobia16v posted a very interesting idea where you replace the back part of the stock A2 fogs with the back part of the A3 fogs thus keeping the stock A2 lenses. i emailed him and he sent me the part numbers for the A3 parts (BTW Thanks Phobia16v http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif )
but before i head out and buy these i have some concerns...do you guys think that the A3 fogs will cause the A2 lenses to deform/melt?...also do i have to change the wiring connectors or are these things just plug and play?
Also i plan on getting some driving lamps installed in the bumper openings...so far i am thinking of getting some piaa 1100x series lamps but i would also like your suggestions on what else is out there...
Sorry for the long post and hopefully i get more responses here than in the lighting forum

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: A2 auxillary lighting options... (VWbohica)

try the Micro DE Xenon (pic is not the HID version)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: A2 auxillary lighting options... (16v)

I did check into the hella lamps and i even downloaded their catalogue from the web. the reason i'm leaning towards the piaa is that they come in a silver finish casing and i would compliment the white colour of my car. the hellas only come with the black casing (available with the blue trim ring) but i think it would sort look out of place. i would basically like to hear from fellow dubbers on their experiences with auxillary lighting and ease of installation (the piaa's come complete with a kit including relays)...i thought about the black magics but i thing it would look awkward with the dual rounds...i think these are best left to guys with rallye lights that like to go zipping through the woods at ungoddly hours
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
BTW thanks for the reply...

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

but remember, the mounting plate behind the bumper means that the bulk of the light housing will be hidden so the color wouldn't be to much of a big deal. I'm just thinking that you may be able to use the existing factory plugs since you're going from a Hella piece to another Hella piece

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

i'm actually not thinking of ditching the sock fogs...i'm keeping them and getting the back part of an A3 fog lamp. hopefully these 'upgraded' fogs will be brighter and i won't have the need for another set of fogs...but there still the heat issue since the A3 fogs are brighter and therefore would likely produce more heat...but phobia16v said they would work.
i'm thinking of complimenting these fogs with maybe a set of driving lamps installed in the recess beside the tow hook in the front bumper...i've looked at the DE xenon on the hella site in the light tunnel and frankly i was disapointed with the light output...i'm still not sure whether i can put these xenon lamps on an A2 since there was nothing on their site that said it was possible.

·
Registered
41,531 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]i'm still not sure whether i can put these xenon lamps on an A2 since there was nothing on their site that said it was possible.[HR][/HR]​

anything is possible!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

It might very well be possible but not for my wallet...the DE xenon cost about $900 CDN ( $560 US)

and i thought the piaa were expensive

·
Registered
270 Posts

Why not try the regular hella DE foglamps behind the stock lenses? remove the internals, keep the stock look but with the illumination of the newest DE. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that 16v was suggesting the hellas instead of the PIAA driving lamps, those serve an entirely different purpose. I would suggest them in place of the A3 stock lamps

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: A2 auxillary lighting options... (vdubnut1)

Hmm...i thought that the decision making process would get easier however i'm getting a little bit confused...
if money was no object i'd get the DE xenons and try to make them work but ub=nfortunately i can't justify spending about $1000 on just some auxillary drving lamps.
money2burn: that's actually something i didn't think about....getting a DE fog behind a stock A2 lens...i would just have to figure something out about what to do with the De lens since i don't think that the beam pattern would be very good with 2 lenses. this would be a cheaper option since i can get the DEs for about $155 whereas the A3 fogs will set me back about $305.
vdubnut1: i am probably not going to get rid of my stock A2 fogs...i will probably end up throwing them on my 92 golf (winter car).

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

Hey VWbohica can you post the part numbers for the a3 fog parts needed.
One of my fogs melted
. I can't afford to fix it now but in future I'd like too. It sucks having fog ligths but they don't work..my friend was like cool your car has fogs in the bumper i was like but unfortunly they don't work anymore just lens there basically.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: A2 auxillary lighting options... (vwjettagl1992)

quote:[HR][/HR]If you have the stock fogs, all you need is the back half of the A3 fogs.
1HM-941-727-A
1HM-941-728-A [HR][/HR]​
courtesy of phobia16v

[Modified by VWbohica, 9:47 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts

you could always go this route http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

man I love it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Oh, BTW do the MK3 fog light parts fit perfectly with the MK2 lenses?? or do you have to modify them at all?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Re: A2 auxillary lighting options... (Flyin_Fox00)

quote:[HR][/HR]i dissagree i dont like them huge ass fogs... loooks dumb where u driving in a rally?[HR][/HR]​
Chill out man, no need to trash talk the guy's car. For every person like you that doesn't like the rallye look on a golf there are ten people like me that do. Golfs make phat looking rallye cars. Keep your flaming to yourself.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: A2 auxillary lighting options... (brandon002)

quote:[HR][/HR]i dissagree i dont like them huge ass fogs... loooks dumb where u driving in a rally?
Chill out man, no need to trash talk the guy's car. For every person like you that doesn't like the rallye look on a golf there are ten people like me that do. Golfs make phat looking rallye cars. Keep your flaming to yourself.[HR][/HR]​
I agree fully, Brandon. I have four(!) Hella 500 clear driving lights going on my A2, between single rounds. I personally like the "rally car" look, but not all do. Trashing someone's ride is indeed wrong, and blatantly ignorant. That red Golf is cool IMO! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: A2 auxillary lighting options... (The Red Baron)

thanks red baron...but i have quad rounds and i don't think that hputting the black magics would look as good as on 16v's car. can you imagine it would be like 6 eyes starring at you

BTW i really really like the black magics with rallye grill....they compliment the grill nicely and don't look out of place http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts