VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a1 dash is out and I test fitted the a2 dash its kinda snug on the sides but other wise fits good. But I have a few questions I need to know where to drill the holes if anyone has some measurements, and how much to trim off the metal a1 side dash supports to fit the lower dash panel. Also do I have to fab new side brackets for the a2 dash or is there a factory piece I can use
TIA Ryan

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Re: a2 dash swap questions (jetta88a2)

the only thing i had to cut, was the living piss out of my steering column. had to cut about half of the top of it off so that the a2 cluster would sit down low enough so that in turn the dash would sit low enough so i could still open my quarter windows. as far as securing, once thats done it'll be pretty damn tight and snug under the windshield seal, provided you removed the 2 bolts sticking out the front of the dash that would normally go through the A2 firewall. i put in 1 bolt in the whole thing, and that was just to keep the angle correct on the dash. that was on the passenger side, you look on the inside of the dash and there some metal inside lining on the dash, i drilled a hole through that, through the foam, and through the side wall on the car, then inserted a screw. thats that, thing ain't goin nowhere.
just to let you know, i've never read the same install guidelines twice, everybody does it a different way. and in the end, every way works. i didn't trim my dash at all on the sides, chose to wedge it in cause i want it to be secure in there anyways. alot of people do however trim it. some people make brackets for the sides, i chose not to, cause either way i'm still drilling a hole and putting a bolt through it and into the car. there really is no exact science, just gotta throw it in there, and see what has to be "manipulated" to allow it to sit right. hth.

Modified by Weaver at 5:19 PM 7-3-2003

·
Banned
1,184 Posts

jb weld

sup bro, come by my house this weekend. we'll get juiced up and work on ur car eh.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Re: a2 dash swap questions (Unit00)

heh! i got my 2 windsheild bolts to work with my swap
but i cut the entire A1 dash supports out ( on the sides)
and nothing was done to my steering colum
it didnt drop in either, i had to cut about 1/2 inch out of it
on the passenger side under the glove box where it angles to the back
you cant tell its done when its installed

·
Banned
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: a2 dash swap questions (MillerA1)

well I got it in there there arent any bolts holding it in yet but I got everything where it needs to be thanks for the pointers everyone now I just got to get a cluster and figure out the switches. Anybody got any wiring charts or diagrams for the headlight switch or a 90-92 cluster???

·
Banned
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: a2 dash swap questions (5speedautogolf)

Thanks for the headsup on the cluster wiring thread. My dash is out of an 85 gti 8v the only wiring I grabbed was for the knock box and the plugs for the dash switches.The only ce2 wiring I will be using is the plug for the cluster.
I have an a2 bently but I let a friend borrow my a1 bently and he is out of town till the 7th Anybody got any Ideas on pre ce2 wiring for the dash switches???
TIA Ryan

Modified by jetta88a2 at 6:21 PM 7-4-2003

·
Banned
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok this is what I got so far for the headlight switch using my a2 bently and chilton's for the a1.
A2 headlight switch
pin 1 GY/BK Power to cluster
pin 2 BR Ground
pin 3 W/BK to high beam switch
pin 4 OR 12v+ switched
pin 5 R/BK 12v+
pin 7 GY to parking lights
A1 headlight switch
pin 1 BR/W Dome light -
pin 2 GY/BL Cluster illumination
pin 3 W/BK to highbeam switch
pin 4 GY/R 12v+
pin 5 GY to parking lights
pin 6 GY ??????
pin 7 BK/Y to load reduction relay
So I think I have the wiring of the actual switch covered but am unsure what to do with the pin7 that goes to the load reduction relay(Is this just a 12v+ switched source?),what pin 6 goes too,what to do about pin1,or if my crappy chilton's manual is even right.
TIA Ryan
Modified by jetta88a2 at 7:44 PM 7-4-2003

Modified by jetta88a2 at 7:46 PM 7-4-2003

·
Registered
558 Posts

i believe that pin 6 is the rear exterior lighting left,right taillites plate lights etc..

Modified by 5speedautogolf at 1:33 PM 7-6-2003

·
Banned
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: a2 dash swap questions (5speedautogolf)

Thanks As soon as I get the battery back in I'll let ya know how it turns out http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts