VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been thinking long about a swap to tdi in my 90 gti. i like(and need the economy) of it and dammit its different. i've browsed fred's a few times and seen a few pics of a jazz blue (?) gti witha tdi motor in her and i almost flipped. problem is how hard is this swap. i believe the tdi is dbw, how do you hook it up? similiar to the 1.8t's? any help i could get on this subject would be greatly appreciated. thanks

· Registered
10,980 Posts
Re: a2 TDI swap? (lashboy)

Best bet is a complete A3 Jetta TDI complete donor vehicle if you can find a smashed one. Obvously a TDI into an A2 can and has been done, but it's not easy.
Issues:
- You need the TDI transmission; it's cable shifted and A2 was rod shifted
- and the clutch is hydraulic instead of cable
- obviously the hydraulic clutch / drive-by-wire throttle require new pedal cluster
- where are you going to put the intercooler??
- wiring ...
- sensors ...
- instrument panel ... (all electronic on TDI)
- who knows what else ...

· Registered
4 Posts
Re: a2 TDI swap? (lashboy)

why did you don't put intercooler at same place than european version? between front bumper and radiator? you have 38 inches wide space to put them... i think this is better than over engine because heat goes up... your intercooler cannot heat air in town???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.