·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go..Hang on!!!!!!...
Brought this beauty home in 2002.

Donor Car won on Ebay last August 2004

Engine Removed from Corrado....Thanks Jeff

Engine Removed from my Gti to sell to the guy in NJ. Thanks Colin for buying the 2.0L..

Removed Dash and Heater Box to install new wiring, Heater Core and new evaporator Core. Yes, that is right, I'm running AC.

New Evaporator Core and Heater Core to go back in the Box.

VR6 wiring...What an intimidating mess

Modified by A2brb at 10:26 PM 6-17-2009

·
Banned
5,705 Posts
The wiring isn't too bad. I had to completely rewire my 85 for CE2... the engine harness when laid out all the plugs fall right into palce and its hard to screw it up.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: A2brb's VR6-t Project>>>>>>>>> (A2brb)

Heater box put back together and ready to go back in the car.

VR6 Wiring and Headlight Harness wrapped with new friction tape.
Labled and ready to go back in the car.

Put new timing Chains, Guides, Waterpump, Crack Pipe, gaskets etc. to fresh'n up the 97,000 mile old VR6 Motor.

Before Shot of the weathered engine

Stripped and prepped for paint.

Cleaned and Painted and put accessories back on

Put the Turbo Manifold on.

T3/T4 Garret Turbo fresh out of the box.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Engine bay seemed a little neglected after pulling the engine. I checked on having it respraid but the problem was the car was on blocks and I had sold all the old subrame pieces.
What the Heck...I decided to paint it myself. Did a little research and jumped right into it. It came out better than I thought.
One major issue with this Job was keeping the moisture out of the line. I went and bought a dryer for my Air Compressor. I happened to stumble on a commercial "Real DeaL" dryer for a real good deal from a local factory that was going out of business. It oils the air tools and takes the moisure out of the line at the same time...The main Dryer I put a few feet from the compressor and then put an inline dryer right before the air entered the gun. It seemed to do the Job. The little blue balls in the dryer gradually turned purple. I could tell the dryers were working....
Prepped Bay for Paint

Yours Truly...Good thing my neighbors were'nt outside

Modified by A2brb at 12:55 AM 9-6-2005

·
Banned
2,639 Posts
Re: A2brb's VR6-t Project>>>>>>>>> (92vr6Jetta)

hey u got overspray on my yard damnit lol
gl hf http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,957 Posts

now thats the RIGHT way to do a build thread. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif may this one last 60 million pages!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Re: A2brb's VR6-t Project>>>>>>>>> (ArpyArpad)

so what shape were the chain and guides actually in when you removed them for replacement? other than being done as an obvious precaution were they really in need of attention?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Re: A2brb's VR6-t Project>>>>>>>>> (noseheavy)

booya!!! can't wait to see what this turns out like. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
8,354 Posts
Re: A2brb's VR6-t Project>>>>>>>>> (eldo)

sweet! looks great so far, i wish i could meet jeffrey B sometime, who knows. I would love to check out his cars.
good luck with everything!

·
Registered
7,051 Posts

Quote, originally posted by A2brb »
Glenn(VR6swap) was also there that weekend..fantastic guy as well....

You sure that was me that you met?
People don't generally describe me as a "fantastic guy".

I was asking Jeff the other day if he'd heard anything for you lately, glad to see you're making progress. Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Quote, originally posted by noseheavy »
so what shape were the chain and guides actually in when you removed them for replacement? other than being done as an obvious precaution were they really in need of attention?

It's not smart to do a swap without replacing the chains and guides.
Most donors you find these days have at least 75 or 80K on them, so it's really cheap insurance - IE the service parts to replace the chains and guides are cheaper than having to dig into the motor later and paying machine shop labor to replace bent valves. And you've already got the motor and trans out anyway, so why not?

Modified by vr6swap at 10:53 PM 9-5-2005

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

So Spring was coming fast and I had been watching for the release of the Kinetic VR6-t Kit. I heard nothing but good things about the kit and it had a very reasonable price tag.
The idea of me buying a turbo for this car seemed very far fetched. I was just happy to be doing the VR6 swap. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how much easier it would be to install the Turbo with the engine out of the car. Months went by and I just dreamed about the idea.
I had the money... but thought my wife would have a hard time with letting me go for the kit. Well, turns out....I got a real nice bonus from work and cleared it with my lovely wife. She has been so supportive of this project.
I immediately called Chris (C2mortorsports) who convenietly lives about 20 minutes from me. We discussed my future plans for the car and a few weeks later I get a call from Chris to come pick up my kit from his house. Chris has been a huge help with the turbo details. Always there to answer any questions... and I had a lot of them and still do.
this being my first turbo car and installing everything myself.
Turbo Specifics:
Stage I kit:
- T3/T4 Oil Cooled Turbocharger (500hp Capable)
- Kinetic Motorsport VR6 Manifold
- TiAL 38mm Wastegate
- 2.5" Stainless Steel Downpipe
- 3" Stainless Steel Intake
- Braided Oil Lines and Oil Pan Fittings
- Reuseable Air Filter
- Kinetic Motorsport Silicone Hoses /w Stainless Steel Clamps
- 36# Injectors
- C2 Motorsports Stage 1 Chip Software
As this thread progresses, I will show pics of the turbo Kit in detail.....
A few extras I picked up as good insurance for the extra power
Stage 2 Spec Clutch & VR6 Eurosport Oil Cooler:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: A2brb's VR6-t Project>>>>>>>>> (vr6swap)

Quote, originally posted by vr6swap »

You sure that was me that you met?
People don't generally describe me as a "fantastic guy".

I was asking Jeff the other day if he'd heard anything for you lately, glad to see you're making progress. Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Your a good guy Glenn. I don't care what they say about ya

Yeah, you guys were probably about ready to give up on me

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: A2brb's VR6-t Project>>>>>>>>> (noseheavy)

Quote, originally posted by noseheavy »

One of the guides had a little wear. For the most part, they were in good shape. However, like Glenn said, it's good insurance especially when you are running Forced Induction.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I had the polishing thing down from my previous project. However, I hate doing it. My original Intake Manifold had a cast imperfection in one of the runnners. I didn't think I would be able to sand it out. Long story short..Chris (C2motorsports) had a few OBD1 intake manifolds laying around in storage and let me swap one out for free. Thanks Chris http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Just a few things I polished....more pics of others pieces to come..
Started with 80grit and started wet sanding at 500grit..Sanded all the way to 2000grit and used Dawn as a good lubricant while sanding.
This took way to long and a lot of time out of me getting this car back together. I don't think I'll ever polish another VR6 Manifold again

Right after finished sanding. It took months in between all the other stuff...
Valve Cover, Intake Manifold, and Serp. Belt Tensioner

Polished using Caswell Plating Alluminum Compounds:

I'm happy with the Results

Modified by A2brb at 12:51 PM 10-5-2006

Modified by A2brb at 12:56 PM 11-12-2006

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
Re: (JettaMatt)

That poor poor corrado it was a nice color I shed a tear
anyways awsome project man looking forward to the finished product.

1 - 20 of 550 Posts