VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so with overwhelming request to share this DIY , I tried to put together as much photos I was able to take when I was doing this project. It literally took me no more than 2 hours to do both sides (being that I've been doing this project from simple SMT LEDs, to the current 4chip bright LEDs) I"ve had these 4chip LEDs now for 2months, and no issues. For such a small source of light- these are very bright! Not as "sophisticated" looking as AUDi's OEM LEDs- but close enough. This mod is a guaranteed neck-twister. A good alternative I suppose, for the upcoming LED headlamps for the A3. This mod also adds some character to the otherwise plain / standard bumper. Feedbacks appreciated. By the way-- yes- this can be done on S-Lines also- read on.
The real thing:

My version:

What you need:
-OZnium 4chip superFlux LEDs- prewired (built in resistors already) go to:
http://www.oznium.com (14 altogether for both sides)
-Wires ( u can get em at RadioShack)
- Glue (glue gun, or Gorilla, or whatever glue- that will bond plastic w/out burning it)
-3/8" drill bit
-pencil/ruler
-Red and White heat shrink tubes (radio shack, or pepboys/autostores)
-(optional) switch (radio shack or autostores)
-clear silicone
-wire tap (u can get different types from radio shack or autostores) otherwise electrical tape, and simple knowledge of wirings dos and don'ts will work- as in "splicing" and using basic connectors.
-optional- "Add- a Circuit fuse tap" if you want to tap the power directly frm the fuse box(safer)
Oznium 4chip LEDs:

Simple tools and a clean work space:

Using a measuring tape- pencil in 1" inch space between- you will find that 7LEDs will fit just well in that middle space of the grill (measure from behind) w/out having to cut the akward mid-rib (unless you want to dremmel it off)

Once you have penciled-in your marks to drill- I recommend using a small drill-bit first to initialize a hole before using the 3/8" drill bit.

You may want to 'clean' or smooth the edges of the holes- but not too much. Start inserting each LEDs in the holes (end wire goes in from the front).

I then placed some glue to hold them from behind. And later on- Clear Silicone to prevent water entering the holes (even though the pre-wired LEDs are waterproof). The Black wraps on the LED wires are the built-in resistors/waterproofed.

The next image below is a little blurry (i apologize) but I was trying to show the heat shrink tubes that I placed over the respective Positives and Negatives after I've split them from each LEDs. Red heat shrink over all the positive wires, and white (or black) heat shrink tubes for the LEds NEG wires. I used my trusty HeatGun to shrink them. You can use a hair dryer.

Test your LEDs before finishing up/tucking the wires.

Once the Positive and Negatives are bundled and wrapped in Heat shrink tubes, I then arrange them in one of the slots in the Fog Grill and tucked them in there- perfect space! I then connected each respective polarities to the extra wires I purchased (would would then connect to the Driver parkinglamp wires(no photo)
Although I do not have an actual photo of my wire connections- I drew up a basic connection diagram on the photo below. The passenger side LEDs are wired up and routed along the top of the engine bay, hidden under the weather stripping. It is then spliced with the Drivers side LEDs.
I have added a "powerline" by tapping-in to the DriverSide parking lamp wires (this "line" that I added I made it easily accessible for future connections of other LEDs (headlamps)- but I will soon be switching over to using an "add-a circuit- fuse tap device". Safer.
I also wired in a separate switch and ran the wires into the cabin so I can turn the LEDs off if i dont want them on at night (or select which LEDs I want on - between the FogGrill or the Headlamp).

I added a chrome strip at the bottom and top to deflect some light out- actually gives a "double" led effect" as if stacked on top of each other.

And enjoy your inexpensive and simple "facelift"

Modified by tiptronic at 8:17 AM 7/27/2008

Modified by tiptronic at 5:02 PM 7/29/2008

Modified by tiptronic at 6:03 PM 12/30/2008

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: A3 Custom FogGrill LEDs (brungold)

Quote, originally posted by brungold »
thanks for the DIY.. great job! you know you want to do this for me too now
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Ha! what's in it for me?

I would help you- but I'm trying to figure out my headlamp mod- i'm trying hard to figure out how i can mount these inside w/out issues- but am running into some problems-- i may have a fix, but a little bit more tedious. If it fails- i'm reverting back to the Flexible Strips for the headlamps (I have a set already - whiter-neutral- unlike the previous strips i used that had a buish hue) If i do use the flexistrips- i will try to fashion it to mimic the A7 concept light bar..
e

Modified by tiptronic at 1:32 AM 7/27/2008

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
very simple write up. good job erick. I been tryin to figure out how I wanna do this for my S-Line on top of wanting to remove the foglight backplate [for no other reason then asthetics and possibly cooler air, if even that.]. But you've definitely got the originality!http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Re: A3 Custom FogGrill LEDs (non S-line) DIY... (tiptronic)

Wow. This is a mod that should be packaged and sold for all non S-line fogs... seriously, great mod that turns the A3 into something more updated and definitely a lot sicker looking when someone sees you in their rearview!
Kudos to the great write up and the clear pics. Something I may tackle later down the road since it seems easy to do! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (tiptronic)

Another good thing about this mod is that it can also be implemented on the new 09 A3s (non s) standard fog grills. The headlamp LEDs for tne new A3 i believe is only an option if you choose HID bi-xenons.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Re: (tiptronic)

Dude, you are my hero- that is my next mod! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I have a base 06, no fogs (ok, please keep reading when you are done laughing...
)- if I run the LEDs from one side of the fogless grill insert to the other, I will obviously use more LEDs- will there be any issue with using more lights?

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (skotti)

Quote, originally posted by skotti »
Dude, you are my hero- that is my next mod! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I have a base 06, no fogs (ok, please keep reading when you are done laughing...
)- if I run the LEDs from one side of the fogless grill insert to the other, I will obviously use more LEDs- will there be any issue with using more lights?

No- there are no problem using additional LEDs. Im currently modding my projector headlamps with 12 leds in each housing using the same ''powerline'' that i have tapped into the parking lamp wires. These LEDs barely emit any heat, nor does it use a lot of power- u can hook them up to a 12v line and leave it on 24hours on end w/out draining too much power.

Modified by tiptronic at 10:37 AM 7/27/2008

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: A3 Custom FogGrill LEDs (grubble)

Quote, originally posted by grubble »
Wow. This is a mod that should be packaged and sold for all non S-line fogs... seriously, great mod that turns the A3 into something more updated and definitely a lot sicker looking when someone sees you in their rearview!
Kudos to the great write up and the clear pics. Something I may tackle later down the road since it seems easy to do! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
And yes
Thanks for the comments. Yes they are quite easy to do. And yes even I am stoked when i had my friend follow me in the Audi while i drove the Passat.
The LEDs are bright for daytime use- acts as a pseudo DRL.
Terje77
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: A3 Custom FogGrill LEDs (Oznium.com)

Hi Oznium.com- yeah your products are addicting! lol
maybe in the future i can send you a design proposal for the 4chip or 5mm LED housing so they can be easy fit in the headlamps- im still trying to figure out how i can arrange and mount the 4chips inside the headlamps , w/out taking too much space- like my previous LED strip project see below:
but i want to replace them with the 4chip LEDs.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (A3_yuppie)

The headlamp LEDS are ''Flexible waterproof encased LED strip. see below:
but i want to replace them with 12 individual 4chip LEDS for brighter and better output/aesthetic.
Here a couple of close up photos from previous project

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Re: (A3_yuppie)

I guess you have to have one resistor for each individual LED? Did you try to string all of the positive and neg wires together before just one of the resistors? It seems that you have a lot of stuff 'stuffed' behind the grill due to the resistors.
It would be nice if you could wire them together in parallel to cut down on all the wires. Anyone know enough about electricity to answer this one?

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.