VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: (drew138)

Quote, originally posted by drew138 »
I guess you have to have one resistor for each individual LED? Did you try to string all of the positive and neg wires together before just one of the resistors? It seems that you have a lot of stuff 'stuffed' behind the grill due to the resistors.
It would be nice if you could wire them together in parallel to cut down on all the wires. Anyone know enough about electricity to answer this one?

Yes that would be ideal- but since they came built-in for each- i didnt bother to remove them and test if one resistor wud work. I think we ca direct that question directly to Oznium reps. They do sell 4chip leds- with no hook up and resistors and no protective holders.
properly arranging the wires in the slot actually is a perfect fit

Once i finish the headlamps- i want to takle the taiilamps..
e

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: Concord & Local Sales:
Yep, the Oznium warehouse is in Concord CA, but unfortunately we're closed to the public. We cannot accept walk-in customers nor local pick-ups. All sales must be made online (or phone).
In the future we may have a local "brick and mortar" presence with traditional retail sales. Right now we don't have the resources to maintain our high "Oznium" standards for a local retail outlet. So rather than fall short, we operate strictly online.
Local customers are, however, lucky to take advantage of next-day delivery for a flat shipping cost of only $4.20!
Thank you for understanding, and we look forward to continue making The Bay glow like no other.
Re; Wiring together with only one resistor:
It's a good idea, but not really practical. For now, the best solution is just to use the Pre-wired Superflux 4-chip LEDs, and keep the resistors on there.
While technically, it is possible to run the LEDs in series, or with fewer resistors, you'll have to do your own electrical calculations to figure out the proper configuration.
The pre-wired ones are already set up for the car's 12v electrical system, and they have a nice waterproof mounting base.
Keep up the good work. You guys are a creative bunch!

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: (Oznium.com)

Quote, originally posted by Oznium.com »

Re; Wiring together with only one resistor:
It's a good idea, but not really practical. For now, the best solution is just to use the Pre-wired Superflux 4-chip LEDs, and keep the resistors on there.
While technically, it is possible to run the LEDs in series, or with fewer resistors, you'll have to do your own electrical calculations to figure out the proper configuration.
The pre-wired ones are already set up for the car's 12v electrical system, and they have a nice waterproof mounting base.
Keep up the good work. You guys are a creative bunch!

That's what i thought- that proper resistors needs to be coupled with LEDs if doing a series. I really like the fact that Oznium offer these pre-wired! I havent had any single electrical lighting malfunction using these LEDS.
And guys- shipping is really fast!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
e

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Re: (tiptronic)

hey e,
so you tapped into the parking light for power?
so just to make sure.. LED -> parking light fuse -> interior switch?
also, can we see the switch you are using in the interior?
sorry for the noob electrical questions.. my buddy with a black non-sline is going to order the LEDs and give this a shot. any chance we can enlist your help? we'll bring beer

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

I guess you have to have one resistor for each individual LED? Did you try to string all of the positive and neg wires together before just one of the resistors? It seems that you have a lot of stuff 'stuffed' behind the grill due to the resistors.
It would be nice if you could wire them together in parallel to cut down on all the wires. Anyone know enough about electricity to answer this one?

I would test all the wires/lights first, THEN I would heat-shrink all of the wires together for each side, then run then mount them in place. Conceals water and keeps everything nice and neat. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Re: (krazyboi)

Where on the S Line's grill do you plan to put it?
I was studying the S Line grill last night and I figured that the best location would still be right under the middle slat/rib/bar (whatever you want to call it). That mid-slat will act as a "shade" for the LEDs for/when using it as DRL to shield for direct sunlight.
From what i see- I think 7 LEDs will fit in there w/ 1" space in-between.
I would need see/study an actual SLine grill in person- but it is possible!

Quote, originally posted by krazyboi »
oznium...do you have lights that will fit a 1/4" hole? that looks like the only amount of space we'd have on the s-line cars...

E

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Re: (the4ringer)

the4ringer said:
not sure just yet but I'm going to look at it more. thinking Iif i have to custom fab the section, then so be it. Also go an idea for a switch as well.
what are you using for a switch?[/QUOTE
I orderd a switch from Oz, or you can pick them up at Pepboys or Radioshack... I was going to use one w/ LED indicator..but settled with simple on/off switch..i have it hidden near the hood release latch inside the cabin.
Here's a amateur photoshop of what it may look like (although i measured incorrectly and placed 8 "leds".. but hey, maybe 8 will work too, instead of 7

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

you dont have to lose the mesh- as a matter of fact, you can just get
a firm plastic sheet (maybe like a painter's shield- they come in black..same pliability, material as the wheelwells.. I think you can get them for 5 bucks. I used them before when i was trying to replicate a hood/housnig for the LEDs when i tried to place them inside a la new A3's headlamp HIDs (this is even before they released the official photos haha)
but mounting/securing was an issue.
Anyways, yes, i think you can just use a plastic- maybe a half inch height, 7 or 8" width (to fit between the center towards the foglamp surround) then
glue it over your mesh, then let it dry then drill the 3/8" holes..
sounds clear?
And thanks for that photo- much better- I would recommend checking to see if it looks better under the middle slat..or right under the upper edge of the bumpers- pretty much the same position as the OEM S6 leds..
e

Modified by tiptronic at 12:42 PM 7/29/2008

·
Registered
15,102 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tiptronic »
you dont have to lose the mesh- as a matter of fact, you can just get
a firm plastic sheet (maybe like a painter's shield- they come in black..same pliability, material as the wheelwells.. I think you can get them for 5 bucks. I used them before when i was trying to replicate a hood/housnig for the LEDs when i tried to place them inside a la new A3's headlamp HIDs (this is even before they released the official photos haha)
but mounting/securing was an issue.
Anyways, yes, i think you can just use a plastic- maybe a half inch height, 7 or 8" width (to fit between the center towards the foglamp surround) then
glue it over your mesh, then let it dry then drill the 3/8" holes..
sounds clear?
And thanks for that photo- much better- I would recommend checking to see if it looks better under the middle slat..or right under the upper edge of the bumpers- pretty much the same position as the OEM S6 leds..
e

clear as mud! j/k. thanks again for the great write up. i'm going to measure it up to see if i should go w/ 7 or 8 per side!

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

The reason why i had to go with 7 leds in the standard fog grill is because
of a middle rib- using a 1" space inbetween eliminated having to cut/dremmel that mid rib and the aesthetics of the LED's conformed positions is preserved. With the SLine grill since there's no mid rib to obstruct- i can assume you can fit more than 7 leds..but be careful with the "light bar" effect if you put them too close to each other..
e

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

This is my plan with the sline. I'm trying to buy a spare set so I can work on them outside of the car. The reason I wanted to move the resistors is that there is no where to hide the bulk of everything. I've already ordered the 4chips. 3/8" should work there on the sline,but I want a test first.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

This is my plan with the sline. I'm trying to buy a spare set so I can work on them outside of the car. The reason I wanted to move the resistors is that there is no where to hide the bulk of everything. I've already ordered the 4chips. 3/8" should work there on the sline,but I want a test first.

Have fun and keep us updated- that way other Sline owners can join in and add their own- and- wouldnt it be nice to see other A3s with these custom Leds? sets itself apart from other cars... and maybe Audi will take note...
Ive seen this same customization on older Audis (w.out the current corporate schnoz/grill) and it just doesnt look right. it seem that this project blends well with the current audi face.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Re: A3 Custom FogGrill LEDs (non S-line) DIY... (tiptronic)

Yeay! i think i found a fix/solution for mounting these 4chips inside my FK headlamps (damn these poor FKs are being used and abused haha)
im still hoping to get these done before i head up to mammoth
e

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: (the4ringer)

Quote »
oznium...do you have lights that will fit a 1/4" hole? that looks like the only amount of space we'd have on the s-line cars...

There's a few options in a tight space:
1) Use a 3mm LED such as these ( http://www.oznium.com/led ). You could "pressure fit" and glue them into a tiny hole. Or we also have LED holders, but I wouldn't bother with the holders.
2) I've seen this done a couple times, and it looks really cool: Use either our Ribbon LED Strips or our Waterproof Ribbon LED Strips. You can then mount them from BEHIND the plastic, and drill tiny holes for the LEDs to poke through / light shine through. This same technique works nicely for other plastic parts, like interior door handles, or interior trim, where you want a nicely hidden light.

·
Registered
15,102 Posts
Re: (Oznium.com)

Quote, originally posted by Oznium.com »

There's a few options in a tight space:
1) Use a 3mm LED such as these ( http://www.oznium.com/led ). You could "pressure fit" and glue them into a tiny hole. Or we also have LED holders, but I wouldn't bother with the holders.
2) I've seen this done a couple times, and it looks really cool: Use either our Ribbon LED Strips or our Waterproof Ribbon LED Strips. You can then mount them from BEHIND the plastic, and drill tiny holes for the LEDs to poke through / light shine through. This same technique works nicely for other plastic parts, like interior door handles, or interior trim, where you want a nicely hidden light.

Thanks for responding...think I'm going to go the OG route w/ the superflux ones, just mount them somewhere else.

21 - 40 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.