VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Re: A3 Custom FogGrill LEDs (tiptronic)

Is there a reason that you didn't just run the power to the LEDs from the foglight itself? Can you get a 12v line from the fogs? Seems this would be the easiest thing to do?

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Re: A3 Custom FogGrill LEDs (drew138)

Quote, originally posted by drew138 »
Is there a reason that you didn't just run the power to the LEDs from the foglight itself? Can you get a 12v line from the fogs? Seems this would be the easiest thing to do?

I felt safer fiddlin' with the parking lamps rather than messing with the Foglamp wires and i want to be able to turn the LEDs on w/out using the Fogs.
The other option is using an ''add-a-circuit" fuse tap device.
grrr it's now 1145p- and i gotta get some zzzs- been working on the 4chip LEDs for the headlamps- a total PITA- making sure it is in uniform, and soo much wires, and mounting issues and hiding the mess-- im borderline dumping the project and go back to the flexible strips- but it's just not as bright as the 4chip leds.

e

Modified by tiptronic at 11:35 PM 7/31/2008

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

Thanks. Makes sense. I just got the LEDs today and they are pretty bright. They look waybrighter in your pics, but maybe its because you've got 7 on each side! Did you play with the exposure at all on your pics?
Also, now that I see the actual lights and looking at your fog housing -- you drilled the hole and then 'dropped' the LED in from the front of the grill, rather than "pushing" the light from behind. Is that correct.
Now I need to get me a 'test' sline housing. I've a few ideas that should work, just not sure at this point I want to 'test' with my own housing as it could go drastically bad!!!!!
Drew

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

Thanks. Makes sense. I just got the LEDs today and they are pretty bright. They look waybrighter in your pics, but maybe its because you've got 7 on each side! Did you play with the exposure at all on your pics?
Also, now that I see the actual lights and looking at your fog housing -- you drilled the hole and then 'dropped' the LED in from the front of the grill, rather than "pushing" the light from behind. Is that correct.
Now I need to get me a 'test' sline housing. I've a few ideas that should work, just not sure at this point I want to 'test' with my own housing as it could go drastically bad!!!!!
Drew

Yes they are truly bright- and once you get them all in a series- it will be a whole lot brighter!!! And no, the only adjustments i had to do to the camera is to limit the light that comes in- to reduce the glare in the photo. I also added 1/4" chrome strips affixed on top of the grill slat below the LEDS, and the bottom part of the grill slat above the LEDS are glossy/shiny- that it effectively reflects the glow outward to add that glare/shine effect.
Yes once you drill the holes- you insert the end wires from the ''front'' of the holes effectively ''pushing it into the hole'' from the front. not pushing it from the back. As you can see on the design of the LED holders that they have a lip that effectively holds itself against the hole. from the front- Which actually is good because you dont have to worry about the LEDS braking away or falling off or being pushed-in due to 100+mph speeds upfront
It has been through car washes and no problems.
They are however secured further with glue(behind the grill) Clean and secure!
Goodluck on the Sline Grills- hopefully you can pull it off and be able to share with the other S liners

e

Modified by tiptronic at 12:22 AM 8/1/2008

Modified by tiptronic at 6:19 PM 12/30/2008

·
Registered
2,906 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tiptronic »

Goodluck on the Sline Grills- hopefully you can pull it off and be able to share with the other S liners

yes please! i'm eager to do this, but can't see a good place to mount them on the s-line.

·
Registered
15,102 Posts
Re: A3 Custom FogGrill LEDs (brungold)

Quote, originally posted by brungold »

yes please! i'm eager to do this, but can't see a good place to mount them on the s-line.

i'ma do this as well...i have the OEM plastic backplate thats not being used. just need to order the bulbs/parts.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Re: A3 Custom FogGrill LEDs (brungold)

Well, I just ordered a spare set of sline fog housings @ 60.00 each from the stealer!!!!!! Should be in mid-next-week. I figure if I can get this to work then I'll just mock up a second set off my stockers and sell them to someone lazier than me. Otherwise this is going to end up being a $200 mod in the toilet

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

The only thing that i see on the Sline fog grill that may 'hinder' the look is lack of grill slats- i mean the LEDS will be fine mounting it right under the middle slat- i hardly think you will have any issues--
you did see my mock-up sline photoshopped ''leds'' photo?
e

·
Registered
2,906 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tiptronic »

you did see my mock-up sline photoshopped ''leds'' photo?
e

i did, and they look ok, but they just dont look right to me yet somehow. maybe 7 or even 6 instead of 8, as in the pic.. hmmmmm..

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

I'm thinking that I can get them in that cross bar section rather than under them. There is some room in there, but it will be a tight fit with all the wires. The other thing that I'm thinking is that I might take 10 of them, side by side, and just dremmel out a single 7" line in that cross bar to give it a solid LED beam affect. That's why I wanted an extra set of housings cause this could get messy!!! I might do the mesh-mod that krazyboi did as well. i'd like to run power them off the fogs as I pretty much always run the fogs and would probably always run the LEDs as well.
There is a high proablility that this will just not work with the desired effect and I'll just punt the whole idea down the drain. Not w/o a fight though!!.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

I'm thinking that I can get them in that cross bar section rather than under them. There is some room in there, but it will be a tight fit with all the wires. .

well Drew138- here's one tool you;re gonna need that might just work to fit the LEDs in that tight 1/4" space. DREMMEL - use the fine sanding bit- it'll shave enough housing off for you to clear a 1/4" area- it will still be a tight fit- and be patient when you do decide to shave it. just take it easy.
I have now been able to fit the leds under the black trim inside the headlamps. i unfortunately by trial and error, made an error on allowing 1 1/4" space in between each- and it stretched 12 leds all the way to the far side of the headlamp- i didnt like the look. so i gotta unglue them and re-measure to 1" space--- you'll see...
e

Modified by tiptronic at 10:07 PM 8/1/2008

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Re: (brungold)

hey e,
so you tapped into the parking light for power?
so just to make sure.. LED -> parking light fuse -> interior switch?
also, can we see the switch you are using in the interior?
sorry for the noob electrical questions.. my buddy with a black non-sline is going to order the LEDs and give this a shot. any chance we can enlist your help? we'll bring beer

HEY Brungold- i completely missed the post above- sorry.
The LEDs are wired/tapped in to the parking lamp wires- hence the LEDs turns on when parkinglamp switch is on. But i added a ''bridge" to the positive wire that feeds the LEDS- that ''bridge'' is where i connected a separate switch that i routed into the cabin- no fancy mounting whatsoever- just hidden from view.
There is a ''better'' way but i havent gone around doing it- by using an add-a-circuit fuse tap thingy. Positve wire feeds to the fuse tap, while the negative wire is attached to a ground. You can then add a switch from the positive wire. Im just not sure yet which is the best fuse to use- (rear wipers maybe?) so that the leds power feed is on when the car is on. no need to turn on the parking lamps.

Modified by tiptronic at 1:15 PM 8/2/2008

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Re: (m32)

Quote, originally posted by m32 »
Just want to thank Tiptronic for doing this and giving me the idea for the same thing on my Porsche. Those LED's are worth the money

Yeay! Like the new Porsche 911 LED "wings"
Even the new Panamera are using TubeLighting and LEDs ( It's all in the family -Porsche-VAG)
You have pics for us?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

41 - 60 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.