VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 · (Edited)
Can you get a close up of the LEDs, not on. I am curious to see how well they fit in the fog grilles, or if there is a gap.

Something like this look.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAYTIME-DRIVI...CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae01d3d6f#ht_1110wt_905
I saw those (someone posted in my other enquiry) but wasnt sure if the lighting output is good. Probably is, but i went for the Philips since ive read a lot of usage in a Porsche Cayman forum- it matches that of the Porsche LEDs in output. The ad (TFL lighting) shows that it has a curve that better fits the fog grill. The Philips are straight across, but not noticeable once they are tucked away in the grill.

But below are the close up, as requested in same fashion as the ad. Taken on IP4, and i tried to show diff angles of the install/gaps. I will be fabricating a hard rubber foam inserts to relive those gaps. Im also still figuring a way to fabricate a secured fit, but removable in case.
(iphone4 pics) They are currently secured at the back rather crudely but it works :D

Right now the position of the LED housing seem to be working for me, I might push it back further to hide the corners, then resecure.
Another option would have been to cut more of the lower slat, but that would be far more involved.

·
Registered
295 Posts
hey I got a question about the philips LED DRL.

I saw an ebay seller said "Not recommended for European cars because current still available after engine shut off"

I would think the LED, though it connects to the battery directly, has a relay switch which can connect to one of the existing light wiring (fog light, streets light, whatever), so that it shouldn't be a problem.

Not to mention, your battery would ALWAYS provide current if you have a load connected to it, engine on or off.

So I just want to confirm with you guys before I buy it ... and it does seem to be the genuine philips LED DRL.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 · (Edited)
hey I got a question about the philips LED DRL.

I saw an ebay seller said "Not recommended for European cars because current still available after engine shut off"
So I just want to confirm with you guys before I buy it ... and it does seem to be the genuine philips LED DRL.
I researched and shopped around and found Philips the affordable and easy to install.
The kit comes with the LEDs, power module which connects to the battery for direct power. the purpose of a 3rd wire connects to the parking lamp wires- when the parking lamps are activated the power is cut off to the LEDs.
When i shut the car off, the LED/DRLs stays on for about 5 seconds and then shuts off.

Some folks from the Porsche Cayman forum opted not to connect the 3rd wire, leaving the LEDs on even when parking/headlamps are switched on. I added a wired switch so I have the option to have it On or Off when headlamps are on.

Rawaudi-
Thanks for sharing, yes that looks similar to the Philips. but the wiring is a bit more simpler than the Modulite as shown in the video. The size (length) of the Modulite is compact like the Philips LED4. I was glad the LED5 fit just fine (in terms of length) in the Premium/base fog grill.

TMTuning sells different design with curvature to fit the grill curves better but their prices were 50% more than Philips. There are now many diff options, it just now depends on your preference, install skills, and well $$ =)

the ones I got are genuine Philips- the build and materials are great quality. The pressure from the grill slats allows for friction hold of the unit- which does not even react to the force of the grills squeezing it. I already have an idea to further secure the unit.

Tonight (around 6p, , I called my roomy to see how the car looked from afar as I drove home. He said my custom project is nothing compared to the output of these Philips unit. He said brightness are that of the OEM A3, but in style of the MBZ

I know it is not for everyone's liking, but at least they are proper DRLs

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 · (Edited)
Thanks tip!

I have the 06 non-S line fog light cover, basically same as yours. Did you have to trim a lot off the cover to fit the LED light? Or no?
I had to trim the back slat (as you can see on the pics below. You would also need to remove the center rib. I used a rotary tool / cutting wheel(similare to dremmel) and pliers to pull some of the excess rib. Be patient.

e

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
It was time to move on when you see every other old civics and sentras having those dotted LED lights.

VWAddict, time to drill move holes in your fog grill to insert more of those LEDs so you can up your game. Maybe put relays across the LEDs so when you hit the turn signal, the LED will light up progressively outward so the dyslexic could follow the direction of the light is being lit and know which way you are turning.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
Brungold

Don't get me involved lol. I already got mine lol.
I got it through www.carbulbsdirect.com. Purchased the LED5 £109 ($178) free shipping. Took two weeks. Kb posted another one above for £70 but I believe that is the LED4 system.

Install took 2hours cause I had to cut the grills and my rotary tool was weak! You can use a jigsaw, but be careful. Although pre facelift Sline bumpers may not require cutting, just drilling perhaps. The wiring was fairly simple. Yes you would have to find/fish out the parking lamp wire for the auto shut off feature when headlamps are turned on.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 · (Edited)

·
Registered
158 Posts
161 - 177 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.