VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to know who has actually weighed their A3 GTI or Jetta VR6 and what the weight measurement was(truck scale, etc...)? The reason I'm asking is, I have a '97 Jetta that's moded and use it as a commuter. I am considering within the next couple of months of getting a GTI and converting that for track use mainly but still street legal and converting the Jetta back to almost stock as a daily driver. The other thought is to keep the Jetta and buy a beater to daily drive... Some people have said the added weight in the rear is a good thing as you will keep more traction in the rear. My car is competent on the track but I haven't driven a GTI on the track to feel the difference. The weight difference will aid in my decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: A3 GTI/Jetta weight? (vr6go)

My 96 GTI VR6 weighed in at 2760 with full tank of gas. It does not have leather but does have a 6 disk changer other wise all original.
I figure 100 pounds for the fuel so 2660 with no gas or people of course. Little heavier than I expected.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: A3 GTI/Jetta weight? (TimM)

Thanks Tim. I'm figuring my Jetta weighs in around 2900-2950 with leather but have nothing to support this. I will find a truck scale to use soon to verify this.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Re: A3 GTI/Jetta weight? (vr6go)

At new england dragway with thier new digital scale, minus my weight I figure the car alone with half a tank of gas is 2800lbs. See sig for car.

[Modified by gin8122, 10:23 AM 12-2-2001]

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Re: A3 GTI/Jetta weight? (gin8122)

On E-town's scale my Jetta weighed 3308 fully loaded down (I didn't plan on running that night). That's with me (240lbs), full tank of gas, full interior (leather), my tools, my little floor jack, and my single 12" in a box.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: A3 GTI/Jetta weight? (XXX007XXX)

So, you guys think there is about 150 lb weight difference between the GTI and Jetta A3 VR6's? Also, any input on difference in handling characteristics between the Jetta and GTI due to this added weight on the Jetta?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.