VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got my CD player installed in the jetta, and I quickly realized I need new speakers up front, then probably a 12" in the trunk. So my question is, should I get smaller woofers and mount them in the door, or should I just get the Qlogic kick panels?
I'm looking at the Infinity Kappa/Perfect 6.5" components and the Focal Polyglass 6.5".
Any reccomendations? I like the infinities in my accord, but I've heard good things about Focal. Or if anyone knows of any shallower woofers that fit well in the door let me know.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Re: A3 Jetta Front speaker stage setup (mk3glx)

Well... what would you say is your absolute maximum budget for the speakers? What kind of music do you listen to ,i.most,/i. of the time? And are they going to be run off the headunit power or a seperate amp? Even a modest 30 watts to 50 watts from a dedicated amp is much, much better than some BS watts from a headunit. Not that you can't get good sound using headunit power.
The Kappas and any of the Focals are almost dipolar opposites, sound wise. The Kappa is warm and fuzzy and the tweeter is hardly ever offensive whereas many find the Focals too bright. In the right system, they can sound phenomenal. I've had the Focal PolyKevlars in a previous car - in kick panels - and after some careful EQ work I was pretty happy with them though I did eventually replace the tweeters. I often recommend Kappas though usually the co-axials. I've done some very respectable sounding systems with them and have never had a complaint.
In general, between the two, if you're going to stick with the factory locations, I might lean towards the Kappas but if you're going towards kick panels, I'd look at the Focals. If you can possibly swing the Kevlars (the 165ks are better for most apps than the 165k2s) they are worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I'm seriously considering the Infinity Perfects. Also looking for Boston sets. Running them at about 50-75W RMS from an Eclipse or Phoenix Gold amp. My only concern is the Aluminum tweeter. I really like the sound of silk dome tweeters, I haven't ever had the aluminum ones.
I am also planning for a 12" Aluminum sub for bass, so the woofers on the components don't have to pound, but just sound good with rock/alt music.

As for the system in my other car I have had infinity reference and Orion HCCA components. I liked the reference more because I'm more about SQ right now.
Thanks for the reccomendations, the only problem is that I can't find a local shop that sells focal.

Modified by mk3glx at 9:14 AM 7-3-2003

1 - 3 of 3 Posts