VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure there is an old thread somewhere, but, I am thinking about getting a 2008 A3 Quattro, but I will want to swap to manual, has anyone done the manual swap with a Quattro? Id love some info.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
i believe this one shop with A3-S3 did it.
i cant remember name
they had a white a3
then they found a quattro rear end with manual transmission
they swapped it in

prolly will cost you no less than 10k to do it.

oh and they did it on a 2.0t

not sure how its done on a 3.2 2008

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant remember name
they had a white a3
they swapped it in

Damn, Id rather just import from Germany.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Im sure there is an old thread somewhere, but, I am thinking about getting a 2008 A3 Quattro, but I will want to swap to manual, has anyone done the manual swap with a Quattro? Id love some info.

Thanks!
Funny I thought about doing this. But only if the DSG started to go. IE Mechatronics or something pricey.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I wish Audi offered the A3 Quattro with manual, :banghead::banghead: At least in the us
Time to import from overseas!! Canada is only 15 years for import so you know we are getting close to be able to import some of the first A3's here.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Maybe I should just settle for a fwd a3...
You know I struggled with the whole DSG and quattro. if you live anywhere that gets snow Quattro is worth it. I think anyways. I do enjoy driving it a lot. Down shifts are the funest!

That being said there are days I miss my Manual. But having traction and good power delivery (not to mention no more torque steer) is so much better and I don't regret my choice at all.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know I struggled with the whole DSG and quattro. if you live anywhere that gets snow Quattro is worth it. I think anyways. I do enjoy driving it a lot. Down shifts are the funest!

That being said there are days I miss my Manual. But having traction and good power delivery (not to mention no more torque steer) is so much better and I don't regret my choice at all.
Argh, :banghead: I just started driving a auto and I hate it. I am a skier so I want Quattro, but don't want to settle for DSG. My bro has a a4 avant Quattro 5 speed, but Im not a huge a4 guy.

Ill have to think about it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have an A3 2.0 and I live in Jackson Hole. DSG too. I fretted over finding a manual transmission but in the end it just doesn't matter. And the DSG is quite good: stick it in your preferred gear for the up, and in another for driving down the mountain pass. Put on some decent snow tires (I'm using Generals WITH Studs) and you get the best of everything: better gas mileage, great grip in snow AND ice, and you can shift gears with your index fingers. And you'll still be able to drink coffee in the morning on your way to the hill cuz you won't have to use that right hand to shift. Also, Seattle traffic sucks - you'd have to keep your foot on that clutch pedal all day long (I lived in Seattle for a number of years).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Argh, :banghead: I just started driving a auto and I hate it. I am a skier so I want Quattro, but don't want to settle for DSG. My bro has a a4 avant Quattro 5 speed, but Im not a huge a4 guy.

Ill have to think about it.
I was in the same boat: I really wanted the A3 Quattro but it only comes with s-tronic in the US. I ended up buying it anyway. I love the car, but hate s-tronic even though I drive in it manual mode only. If you love manuals this transmission just doesn't cut it. Don't get me wrong - the technology behind the s-tronic tranny is amazing and it is one of the best - but it is not the same as a manual.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have an A3 2.0 and I live in Jackson Hole. DSG too. I fretted over finding a manual transmission but in the end it just doesn't matter. And the DSG is quite good: stick it in your preferred gear for the up, and in another for driving down the mountain pass. Put on some decent snow tires (I'm using Generals WITH Studs) and you get the best of everything: better gas mileage, great grip in snow AND ice, and you can shift gears with your index fingers. And you'll still be able to drink coffee in the morning on your way to the hill cuz you won't have to use that right hand to shift. Also, Seattle traffic sucks - you'd have to keep your foot on that clutch pedal all day long (I lived in Seattle for a number of years).
Yes, it has its perks, but I love the feel of a regular manual. I should go to the nearest audi dealer and test drive one.

Seattle traffic does suck..... very much... and the hills are killer.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was in the same boat: I really wanted the A3 Quattro but it only comes with s-tronic in the US. I ended up buying it anyway. I love the car, but hate s-tronic even though I drive in it manual mode only. If you love manuals this transmission just doesn't cut it. Don't get me wrong - the technology behind the s-tronic tranny is amazing and it is one of the best - but it is not the same as a manual.
That's how I feel, I guess I will have to think about it. Maybe import?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Damn, Id rather just import from Germany.
Good luck with that.

i cant remember name
they had a white a3
they swapped it in

You're talking about the Unitronic A3. It IS NOT a manual tranny conversion. It was purchased like that. As far as the quattro conversion goes, I'm not sure if it's been done yet. That was their plan as of March 2012, along with a 500hp turbo. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,604 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good luck with that.

You're talking about the Unitronic A3. It IS NOT a manual tranny conversion. It was purchased like that. As far as the quattro conversion goes, I'm not sure if it's been done yet. That was their plan as of March 2012, along with a 500hp turbo. :thumbup:
Importing was somewhat of a joke...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts