VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am new to this forum
I am a veteren of VW Golfs, but currently own a Civic (with gas prices the way they are...fuel efficiency is very attractive)
I want to buy an Audi A4 1.8T 1997 or 1998. I have been browsing forums and reading reviews. I have found so many comments on how unreliable and troublesome A4's in my range are.
Trouble with tranny, electical, timing belt, etc.
Can someone help settle my woes? Is this true, is my dream of buying an A4 haunted with possible problems to no end??
I owned a 1991 Golf back in the day, that car gave me so many troubles, I changed everything on it...talk about a lemon. That was when I switched to Honda and have not had a single problem, not ONE!
Please help me out, are A4s trouble prone?
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Re: A4 1.8T I want to buy but... (zuppa7)

A car is only reliable as its history, I have an 86 jetta with about 250 000 miles on the clock, running strong. I have only done minor things to that car (of corse regular maintence was done when it was needed and parts do wear out)
as for my Audi it has about 176000 miles on it. and it has been quite reliable.
no electrical problems, the timing belt will break if you don't change it (this is true of ALL engines)
I beat the hell out of my transmission and it is doing just fine.
things that have gone wrong:
- Ignition control modual
- sunroof operates slow
- cruise control is shot
- both of my front outer cv boots just let go about 2 months ago
- other then that just regulat maintence
oh ya I have been chipped for about 140 000 miles on stock turbo
just make sure that the car has a good history of maintence and you will be fine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great big thanks for the reply, Vedubya.
I can agree on all fronts, the history is the key. a little TLC goes a long way with cars.
The rants I have heard sound very sincere. I owned a lemon and it was bloody hell, as much effort that was put in spilled out in problems.
But I guess that is just what happens some times.
Thanks again, if anyone else knows about common problems that may arise...etc, please share.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Re: (zuppa7)

yeah...when buying used you get lucky or you get f'd..
it may take a lot of TLC at first to get her back into pristine condition, but once your there, it isn't too hard to maintain. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
858 Posts
Re: (20VTURBOSpoolMeUp!)

For what its worth, I owned a 99.5 A4 Avant 1.8tqms for 10 months, miles 55k through 68k and had only one problem and that was the ignition control module, which I believe was a $160 dollar part, the place where I bought it from said they typically retail for around $300 and convinced me I was getting a good deal.
Regardless, that was the ONLY problem I had in the 13k miles I owned the car and there isn't much I wouldn't do to get that car back http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.