VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the processing of selling/trading in my integra for a GTI VR6. I have plans to drive a couple hours on saturday to look at a 98 ginster vr6 and hopefully leave with it. However, there is another carrot dangling in front of me now. I found a car on the internet from another dealership in MI. It is a 99 A4 2.8, stick, AWD, red. According to the ad. on the internet it is $13,999. Tomorrow I am going to call the dealership about it. They don't give the mileage, which I assume is why it would be so cheap. Even if the A4 has like 100k or so on it, would it be worth it? Would I be paying a ton in repairs or could it do well being it was clearly highway driven? The GTI has 67k on it. I always figured that I would get a Volkswagen now (in highschool) and a BMW or Audi when I get a job out of college. If it has been well maintained and normal things such as clutch, timing belt, plug wires, etc. have been replaced; is this something that could last another 70k to 100k. Thats really all I would ask of it and would be completely happy if I could drive a car like that with relatively few headaches.

·
Banned
6,488 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (AcuraIntegra)

The car may be fine, but it is not a car for someone with limited funds. If you are stretching your resouces to buy it, you will not be able to treat it right.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (NC-GTI)

Yeah the clutch alone is like $1500+ easily after labor and new flywheel.
I'd say it'd be good as long as the extended warranty you buy with it

check the carfax for collission/salvage too.

[Modified by mrkrad, 9:02 AM 2-15-2002]

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (mrkrad)

Wow it is soo strange that you too answered this post.(i'll explain)
A family member of mine bought a used A4 instead of the more but not so much cheaper jetta and here is the out come the car had 70k sold for $15,9. its an auto. it later needed axles the got fix for about $400ea. But wait now that she took the car too Stone mountain,GA where she plan to live what the hell is that clonking noise at the rear.She drove to some relative house in Raliegh (where the car has been for a few month know) and it turn out to be the drive axle front to rear she was quoted $1800.00

So like these guy say it is a car that you should have to stretch your budjet to get.Worst case is you'll stretch you budget trying to keep it on the road.
(dam good car when maintnance like it should be)
P.S. the car is a 2.8V6 auto.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (AcuraIntegra)

Sounds fishy. I would ask a lot of questions and take it for a long test ride on the highway.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (CanaDN)

Go for the GTI VR6. Sounds like you are more familiar with that car vs. the Audi plus the A4 has more miles on it than it is supposed to. Do the math and find out how may more additional miles are on it vs what it should be.
The Audi's are a bit more expensive so like the other guys leave room for fixes and don't stretch yourself, especially since you are coming out of high school.
Good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (Mario Maverick)

I agree with Mav. The GTI is a quick and nimble ride. You could afford a newer gti with less miles and worries then the Audi. Not that the Audi is troublsome, merely newer is typically less in repqirs. Save up for the S4!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (CanaDN)

The Audi will feel insanely slow. the Quattro robs power in those cars. I drove my friends 96 that was a stick, and it was fun to drive, but it wasn't quick by any means. if you have a modded. 2.0 8v gti you can HANG with them if they are stock. a stock GTI will eat one no problem. the Audi will always be a NICER car though. If you're looking for a reliable car, i' stay with the integra, or wait till you have a few more thousand to spend and get one that's almost brand new and the people have all service records. just my .2

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (VEE-DUBBER)

I don't think INSANELY slow is quite fair. I have a stock A4 1.8tq 5speed, 0-60 in 8.1sec. Not fast by most peoples standards however, my previous car was an 89 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ceria SL. 110bhp, 0-60 in like 12seconds, 3 speed auto. SO, to me my A4 feels pretty quick (especially when you drive it to the redline). It all depends on what you're used to. As far as reliability goes, if the car has been properly maintained throughout its lifetime it should be fine. If it has been neglected though....watchout, it could become a money pit. Check out the service records, if it all checks out go for it. If you can't get ahold of the records I'd stay away unless you talk with the previous owner.
GTI VR6 or A4 quattro....either way you can't lose http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (BahnFIRE)

Service records are a must! I suggest going for the VR6 though.

btw, I have an 89 Ciera SL, and it has the 3.3L V6. Doesnt the SL ONLY come with this engine? It has 160HP.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (2lowA4)

My 89 Cutlass Ceria SL had the 4-tec inline 2.5liter 4 cylinder engine. According to cars.com that engine made 110bhp. I wish mine was a
V6. Mine had a blue cloth interior, silver exterior with the wire mesh hubcaps and the luggage rack on the trunk. Very slow, but never let me down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Re: A4 2.8 question (BahnFIRE)

I've got an A4 now and my last car was a GTI vr6. The audi is really nice, but man GTIs are just so damn cool in my opinion. They're quick, simple and practical. Not to mention that they are very Euro looking...if you're into that. Needless to say that I kinda miss mine. A chipped 1.8t A4 is about the same speed as the vr6 gti, so if you're looking at a 2.8 a4 it's gonna feel slow in comparisson. Trust me. But, both cars are going to be nicer than an integra.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts