VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A4 R32T swap

Hey guys.
I have had a few people asking me about my swap so I am posting some pictures for those who want to do this.
It was a rather easy swap with alot of parts that did not fit, had to be made or broke down after first test drive

Found a cheap R32 engine from ebay in UK..... it had been stored outside for a while so it was not in a good shape.

Engine block had a few rusty cylinders so I had to bore it 0.5mm overdim.

Engine mounted to gearbox with Touareg adapter in between.
custom engine mounts.

Cylinderhead on and turbo on. modified Holset HX40

Custom intake:

Modified oilfilter housing with thermostat oilcooler adapter.

Coated manifold+housing. Also dropped in a 44mm wastegate.

Hood clearance
Had to modify hood and top of engine for it to fit.
Also modified the subframe so I could lower the engine max.

Modified by turbo_fb at 11:38 AM 3-21-2010

· Registered
8,358 Posts
Re: A4 R32T swap (barrygti)

I've got my adapter, flywheel, and starter from 034 and I'm just waiting for a chassis to start my swap!

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: A4 R32T swap (barrygti)

Quote, originally posted by barrygti »
Nice work mate!!!
Did you get the adapter from 034? Are you using the 034 Flywheel and Starter also? And lastly, did you modify the subframe any?
Thanks,
Barry

1: Yes adapter from 034 but it's a OEM VAG part.
2: Yes it's the 034 flywheel but it had to be machined to fit the crank !!!
3: 034 Starter did not fit the engine withouh modifying oilpan.
4: Subframe is raped
Will see if I can get out more pictures.
Also using plug'n play 034efi but it had a few faulty connections so had alot of trouble getting the engine to run propper.
Using SPEC 3+ clutch together with the 034 flywheel.
The 034 parts are made for the 12v VR6 but they have some parts coming for the 24v I suppose.
I started this build almost 2 years ago

Modified by turbo_fb at 3:52 AM 3-22-2010

· Registered
1,809 Posts
Re: A4 R32T swap (turbo_fb)

Quote, originally posted by turbo_fb »

I started this build almost 2 years ago

Modified by turbo_fb at 3:52 AM 3-22-2010

And we love it!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,014 Posts
uhhhhh sup with this?

I had a crazy idea last night to do this swap... did you finish? Pics? I haven't searched or stalked you so I have no idea if you have other completed threads about this. Hopefully you have an update with some sick ass pics and numbers!!!!!

Very interested :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

· Registered
11,727 Posts
I had a huge problem getting the nuts/studs off my 1.8t after I had it white lightening coated like you have here. The nuts fused to the coating and required much higher torque to break them off and with limited engine bay space this can be a nightmare depending on the car. I know this is an old build, but if given the opportunity I'd take off the coating on the flange sections just to avoid headaches.

· Registered
2,014 Posts
I was hoping to do 3.2 vr project this year, but funding has been postponed :facepalm: maybe in another year or two I'll get to turbo a 3.2L VR... I want to buy a mk2 TT now with a 3.2L VR and turn it into something crazyy ;) I'd also like to import one from Europe, have it right hand drive, that'd be pretty cool! :p

this year i'll just have to settle for my 12v mk4 bt :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.