VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don’t get what’s going on here. I redid my timing today (8v digi2, lined up with front of head, dot on flywheel, and notch on the distributor to the rotor), and I’m clueless what’s going on here.
The problem that its having is that if you put more timing into it (twist the distributor) so that it doesn’t die out when every you give it any throttle over 1/4 it doesn’t stutter shake and die out. But if you put the timing back more, it seems to be so lean that it spark knocks like a can of bb’s (but car doesn’t die when you give it throttle).
I redid the timing because it was having these problems, and started having the other day when the car had 1/4 of a tank left but wouldn’t start (maybe a bad in tank pump?). But now I’m just lost beyond all hope.
Thanks everyone and anyone that can help KILL the digi2 problem

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: AAAHR Im baffled!! (Jetta90WB)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Stupid DigiII

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

redid your cam timing, or ignition timing? you talk of the cam and crank/intermediate shaft gears/pulleys, and then the ignition distributor as well....

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Re: AAAHR Im baffled!! (vwdr1ver)

Quote, originally posted by vwdr1ver »
did you try timing it with a light?

yeah, go buy a timing light, thats the only way you can be sure if the timing is indeed correct, theyre like 40 bucks, and it's a good thing to have
also, if you think its the fuel pump, measure the delivery rate

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: AAAHR Im baffled!! (magic_hobo)

Quote, originally posted by magic_hobo »

also, if you think its the fuel pump, measure the delivery rate

How much fule should it pump? (gal/min or liter/min)
Ive got a timing lite, and had it to ware the notch is lined up with the arrow on the trannie case.
Also as far as timming goes:
-I put the cam gear indicator levle with the front of the head.
-Put the crank at TDC on number one cyl, and put the dot at the trannie case arrow.
-And alined the rotor of the distrib to the notch in the distributor casing.

Modified by Jetta90WB at 10:24 PM 5-17-2004

·
Registered
126 Posts

Hmmm, I timed my 8v digi w/o a light just fine. Just make sure all yer marks are lined up. Got a book for it? If the arrow you're talking about is on the lower plastic cover, take that off and actually align the crank notch with the distributor gear (intermidiate pully) dot by sight. Then double check that the distributer drive is parallel with your crank. You can turn it with a screwdriver if need be. Lemme know if you need more help.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: AAAHR Im baffled!! (purplefrog)

Well I was able to get the timing of the distrib (was only object off in the first place) by taking off the retaing fork and removing the distrib. Then reposinsing it so that there was a healthy margon of ajustment on each side of the tick mark on the casing of the distrib.
Everything is definotly alined, so im guessing its the intank fule pump?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well I messed around with the POS for about 3hrs tonight in desperation, but still get the same results.
I changed the fuel filter, in-tank pump, and cleaned the ECU and other eletrical connections.

Best results came from unplugging the coollent temp sensor and have it run in loop mode (oddly enough). The coolent temp swich is new so no worries there, only thing to worry about would be the O2 sensor. But that looks like it had been put in within the last year or so.
I think im done wasting my time on this stupid Digi2 crap, Im just going to run it for another 2 or 3 weeks, and hopefully by that time Ill have the 16v up and running on the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts