VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading that the ABA bottom end is smoother thanks to the longer rods and resulting R/S ratio but just wondering if it is something I will notice right away and be amazed at or is it more subtle?
Just wondering what I have to look forward to! Thanks.
Bradley

· Registered
4,678 Posts
Re: ABA 16V(T) guys... how smooth is that bottom end? (Angular)

I've heard..
both you'd never notice and yes it feels smoother. I think in the end if you have a well balanced bottom end it doesn't matter if its an ABA or straight 9A or whatever.
But in terms of engine wear... the ABA 16v setup is also easier on the motor thus less wear on the bearings.

· Registered
4,062 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Angular »
I've been reading that the ABA bottom end is smoother thanks to the longer rods and resulting R/S ratio but just wondering if it is something I will notice right away and be amazed at or is it more subtle?
Just wondering what I have to look forward to! Thanks.
Bradley

We use the ABA block whenever possible for all of our high hp 16V Turbo's. We prefer the 2.1L (95.5mm crank and our 82.5 or 83mm turbo pistons) which makes awesome torque and still has the ability to spin past 8k with ease.
The ABA is definitely our "Block of Choice" and we build and have built many race engines for some very successful cars in the US, PR, Mexico, and around Europe.
If you do it right, you have a lot to look forward to

-Rich

· Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: ABA 16V(T) guys... how smooth is that bottom end? (Bad Habit)

So... how much smoother is it than a 9A block? Both at idle and at higher RPMs. Is it a noticeable difference? Like "Daaaaayyyym! Why didn't I do this a long time ago?!" Or is it not obvious but you can sleep better at night knowing you got the block with better geometry? Basically can you feel it... if you got into a car with normal good-condition motormounts, could you tell whether it had a ABA or 9A bottom end simply by the feel?

· Registered
4,980 Posts

Bradley,
I've had both the Audi 80 (3A) block and the ABA block in my Cabby...The ABA is noticeably smoother, and also has less vibration at idle (same motor mounts no less, same fuel system, etc).
Audi 80 was more of a torquer motor...
In the end I can't attribute all of it to the rod stroke ratio - the Audi 80 pistons seemed alot beefier than the stock ABA ones...so more weight getting swung around...
hope this helps,
Peter T.

Modified by Peter Tong at 10:56 PM 1-12-2004

· Registered
2,953 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Angular »
So... how much smoother is it than a 9A block? Both at idle and at higher RPMs. Is it a noticeable difference? Like "Daaaaayyyym! Why didn't I do this a long time ago?!" Or is it not obvious but you can sleep better at night knowing you got the block with better geometry? Basically can you feel it... if you got into a car with normal good-condition motormounts, could you tell whether it had a ABA or 9A bottom end simply by the feel?

Just put the damn thing in already!

· Registered
24,970 Posts
Re: ABA 16V(T) guys... how smooth is that bottom end? (Hybrid VW)

i can't compare to a 9a, just a g60 block. The 2.0 ABA with 1.8 16V ported head at 9:1 feels like a PG g60 at 5psi when OFF BOOST. It's very sprightly, and idles extremely smooth, and its peppy off boost.. I find myself city driving not using the boost of mrwatts car that much, cause when it comes on, well im breakin' da law already. blowing the tires off in a corrado in 3rd with LSD is pretty cool shiz.
Works great, i think we can all agree here.
Haven't driven a 9A to compare, sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.