VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was it (is it) worth puttin in an ABA 2.0 bottom end in a 1.8?

[Modified by GTI666, 11:15 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Re: ABA 2.0 bottom end in 1.8L. Worth it? (Batan)

It doesn't seem that for the amount of money and time it takes to do one of these swaps that it is really worth it. You only gain something like 10-15 HP and maybe 15 lb-ft of torque? If you are going to do a swap, I would say make it worth the time and effort. Throw in a 16v, or a G60...these engines are fairly easy to find and not too spendy. The G60 is already built for boost and would be a great building block as would a 16v. You may even look at a 1.8t or VR6 if you want to spend a little more. Thats just my opinion and I am sure I will get flamed for it, but oh well.

[Modified by 8vGTI, 9:30 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Re: ABA 2.0 bottom end in 1.8L. Worth it? (8vGTI)

I've read stuff about ABA swap and it sounds a lot easier then doing 16V or anything else. No major wiring, no ECU or fuel injection swaps...sounds a WAY easier. I'd love turboed 2L 16V though.
Besides, wouldn't ABA engine with P&P, good exhaust, cam etc. be in 150HP neighbourhood? And then turbo that and ....whoa! IMO

[Modified by Batan, 10:06 AM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
15,848 Posts

I started with a GX engine (85hp, 96ft-lbs) in my 87, and I changed the exhaust and engine, using a ABA block, an 86 GLI head and manifolds, and a TT exhaust.
I'm still thinking there is a little more hp to be had, but when it was on the dyno, it made 104hp and 122ft-lbs, at the wheels.
I was able to retain the GX engines fuel and ignition systems, and get those numbers. Since then, I have wired in a KS ignition, and it seemed to help some.
If I went full x-flow, 16V, G-60, or VR6, it would have been far more involved than just sticking in a ABA block. I would have had to changed from CIS to Motronic or something, much more wiring would have been involved, and I'm sure the prices for those engines and the parts are more than my plain 8V engine. Bang for the buck? I'm not sure...I've never driven one of those cars, and I'm not sure how much it would have cost me to do that swap into my car. For my swap, I have between $1500-$2000 in it total.
Anyway, any swap will net you more power, I guess it kind of depends on your budget and/or ability

Broke

·
Registered
4,290 Posts

I understand that other swaps may be more difficult but it just seems a bit excessive to spend that much time and money on 10hp.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I've done the swap as well, i think it's worth it.

i had to hit all the faces!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Re: ABA 2.0 bottom end in 1.8L. Worth it? (dubber87)

I am about to do this mod as well. It seems to be a reliable way to gain power.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

Im sort of confused about this one. Which 1.8 head do you use? I mean, dont nearly all of us have 1.8 heads in our cars as it is, and therefor wouldnt it be fairly simple to just change out the bottom end compared to swapping the entire ABA for LESS power? Cause Ive got a 1.8L GTI (california digifant one, though) that could use a few more HP...

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Re: ABA 2.0 bottom end in 1.8L. Worth it? (Craig_Heitzman)

u need ABA block, conecting rods... Use your own head
and the rest of the stuff. There are small things like...you need 2L 16 head gasket etc...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Re: ABA 2.0 bottom end in 1.8L. Worth it? (GTI666)

its worth it if you are looking to beat 90% of the honda boys (not preludes or type r's, but mildly modded si's, gsr's and accords and stuff) its a worthwile swap. if you arent looking to go turbo or s/c its definatly worth it. i beat 2l 16v's with my swap too (272 cam, lightened flywheel, catback exhaust, 9a tranny, k&n) and i DROPPED this kid in a 2000 gti vr6 (on a back road) so dont underestimate your 8v. i did, however switch to a crossflow so i can go turbo...
-andrew

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Re: ABA 2.0 bottom end in 1.8L. Worth it? (Andrew Foss)

The ABA is worth it with the right cam and head. If you are using CIS, a Schrick 288 will wake up the beast very nicely, putting you equal with a midly modded 16v(exhuast and intake) and will keep the torque somewhat. Overall, for the person on the budget, is totally worth it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

Do it I promise you wont regret it. It is probably the easiest and the cheapest swap to do.

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: ABA 2.0 bottom end in 1.8L. Worth it? (hoodita)

10 hp? broke started with 85 at the crank, and ended up with 104 at the wheels, that's alot more than 10 more hp at the crank.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I understand that other swaps may be more difficult but it just seems a bit excessive to spend that much time and money on 10hp.
[HR][/HR]​
Umm... Try 19HP. Let's try this slowly. 104-85= what? HP isn't everything the torque gains are phenomenal for the money.
I have a friend that swapped an Audi 2.0L in. Worth every penny. Schweet ride. He dynoed 119HP at the wheels. He started out with a 79HP digifant. 40HP!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Llew.

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Re: ABA 2.0 bottom end in 1.8L. Worth it? (G60Jetta2dr)

quote:[HR][/HR][I have a friend that swapped an Audi 2.0L in. Worth every penny. Schweet ride. He dynoed 119HP at the wheels. He started out with a 79HP digifant. 40HP!!! [HR][/HR]​
I like what I'm hearing!
What did he do to it?

·
Registered
4,290 Posts

So you are saying that all he did was add .2l and gained 40 HP!?! When I was looking at the swap when my car was an 8v everyone was telling me to expect around 115 hp and about the same for torque. Even A3 2.0's are only rated at 115 hp at the crank! Is there something I am missing or overlooking?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

usually u do more than just the block. u port the head and stick on a dual downpipe if u don' thave it etc. i recall broke did a few more things.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

i dont think that just swapping in an ABA is going to add that many horses. But with mods it will be a great improvement over the orignial motor. Take mine for example my original motor was a GX 1.8 with 85 hp. Now with the mods I have and the aba I have 147hp at the crank. Great improvement I think.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts