VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (drive79rabbit)

i like the aba because you can find them everywhere for cheap and are easy to get parts for.....

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (blackylawless)

quote:[HR][/HR]Parts are expensive and hard to find for 3a's?[HR][/HR]​
no.a 3a block should be cheaper than ABA because of age

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (verboten)

quite a bit cheaper

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (verboten)

quote:[HR][/HR]no.a 3a block should be cheaper than ABA because of age[HR][/HR]​
i went with an aba because it was a good deal @$250 and because it didnt need a rebuild. it was out of a '99 jetta, automatic and had 19k on it. a 3a might be cheaper initially but might need refreshing.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: ABA or 3A (Big CADDY)

ABA is cheaper and usually less miles spins up faster than a 3A if it says Audi it is usually expensive

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (eurotrashrabbit)

exactly.... and all of the wrecking yards i have been to so far i have never seen a 3a, but i have seen a ton of aba's... and they usualy dont want over 300 for them with low mileage.... heck some people will give them to you because they belive they suck so much... i got a aba complete with x-flow head tranny and the ecu cluster fuse block and all the wiring for $500

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (MiCrO)

Just to clarify: 3A is the Audi, sometimes reffered to as "bubble block" and ABA's are the VW 2.0's right?? - does anyone have comparitive info (other than cost)?? I'm gonna do a big bore conversion someday... The good ol' 1.8 has a lot of life left in it though...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (Dan-'83 Rabbit GTI)

but doesn't that look good....
sorry for the poor quality i am trying to make ok
for the dial up users....

[Modified by MiCrO, 12:50 PM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (eurotrashrabbit)

isnt the 3a similar to the 9a motors except for pistons? if so, other than the block height difference, i'd choose the ABA because of the higher rod ratio at 1.71 vs 1.55....i like the rev-ability plus the peakier torque curve..

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (Andrew Stauffer)

I went with the 3A because I wanted to bore out the block and rebuild it anyway and its nice that I don't have to get a new downpipe.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Re: ABA or 3A (155VERT83)

I thought that with the shorter rods on the 3A, it'd be the rev happy one, and the ABA would be the stump-puller?
I'm going to try and find a 3A anyways as I plan on rebuilding whichever one I get, and would like to avoid any hassle I can (block off plates, distributor garbage, oil pump swaps, longer downpipes, etc)
-Sean

1 - 20 of 55 Posts