VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'll be starting a P/P project with an ABA head and I realized how bad the valve guides bosses are protroding thru the bowls. This will be an area to be improved.
But, I've sometimes heard about using shorter valve guides when porting cylinder heads. Is the goal of using shorter valve guides is to eliminate the protroding guide into the port and increase flow ?
I just saw that techtonics sells shorter valve guides for the 8v, can I use these? Are there any drawbacks ?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Re: ABA porting question (Vollgas)

You got it, less protrusion = better flow. It may seem like a small thing, but remember that some folks turn their 8mm valve stems down to 7mm where it sticks out of hte guide, it all helps. Fortunately, the ABA heads already have 7mm valve stems.
The shorted valve guides tend to have a shorter life span in theory, but they are typically only used by folks that are wringing the life out of a motor anyway. So it's tough to evaluate how much of a shorter life they have. I would do it in a heartbeat in your situation, get on the phone with TT and see what they can tell you. If you can get him, Collin is the man to talk to. As long as you're buying(and not just burning their valuable time ), those guys will talk you through it.

[Modified by Andrew Stauffer, 9:14 AM 4-4-2002]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.