VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I have to say is thank you VW for making the A2 so damn easy to work on. This was the easiest engine swap I have ever completed, it took about 8 hours of work to do everything in order to swap this motor.
The ABA 2.0L came from my little rabbit GTi so I really didn't need to do all that much to complete the swap into my silver A2 GTi. It was already topped off by a solid lifter head that has oversized valves (42mm int, 35mm exh) a 274 asymmetrical Schrick camshaft, a clean porting job, ARP head studs, and an adjustable cam gear.
All I had to do was pull the motor and tranny from my rabbit and drop it into the A2 transferring all of the accessories and adding a used Eurosport race header and new Autotech cat-back and K&N. While I was doing the swap I found out that CIS air shrouded injectors don't fit properly into non-air-shrouded CIS injector cups, while this was a bit of a problem, the ends of the air shrouded injectors just pop right off to become std. non-air-shrouded CIS injectors, and all was well.
Eveything runs great, and it is a pleasure to drive an A2 with 30-40 more HP than stock. I am impressed with the Autotech cat-back system, it is somewhat quiet and subtle, just what I need for my new daily driver, it was also simple to install and the exhaust clamps provided are far superior than some of the others out there.
Here are a few shots of my little engine swap:

BTW, this is the first of two swaps, a CIS-motronic 16V conversion is in progress as we speak.

· Registered
26,635 Posts
Re: ABA swap....no challenge at all. (MorpheusMac)

Wow, nice work Tom. I'd like to say my swap took me only 8 hours...but it took about 2.5 days (with a bunch of other work included).
I'd be interested in riding in the GTI sometime to see how it compares to my ABA swap.

· Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: ABA swap....no challenge at all. (SeattleGLI)

quote:[HR][/HR]Wow, nice work Tom. I'd like to say my swap took me only 8 hours...but it took about 2.5 days (with a bunch of other work included).
I'd be interested in riding in the GTI sometime to see how it compares to my ABA swap.[HR][/HR]​
I'd say about eight hours of total work (not including all of the
and bitching and moaning), it took me about two days to complete the swap: 2 hours to pull the old and tired 1.8, 2 hours to swap the misc. parts and pieces, and around four hours to install the engine and exhaust and get it running. Of course then it took me about a week to finally get the ignition timing advanced to a point right before it would ping and to figure out a small cold start problem (switched a couple of connectors, next time I'll be labeling).
I'd be happy to give you a ride Jon, hell you could drive it if you want to...then we'll have to compare it to the bunny O' death (2.0L 16V CIS-Motronic/2Y equipped rabbit GTi)
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.