VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be beating a dead and buried horse, but there seems to be some debate about these plugs and I wanted to add my experience.
96 Cabrio, VIN B ABA (OBD2), I put in bosch platinum +4s at 102k miles when I got the car along with new O2 sensors, cap, rotor and wires. Car seemed to run ok, mileage was a little low 21-22 mpg. After about 4k miles I started getting a CEL and the codes were catalyst effeciency below threshold and intermittent random misfires. Car still pulled ok and didn't miss under load, idle hunted a little bit but I've seen worse. I thought it might have been a couple of tanks of bad gas so I ran about 3 tanks worth of Techron through it. I would clear the CEL but it would come back within a couple of days. Finally earlier this week I got the dreaded flashing CEL for about 10 seconds on the way to work, then a steady CEL. Pulled the codes and I was getting misfires on 3 and 4 as well as random misfires.
Last night went to the zone and bought the $0.99 Bosch coppers and put them in. Idle seems steadier so far and no CEL. The block 110 misfire counts are way lower. The 5k mile +4s I pulled out looked a little more carboned up than I am used to and the gap seems way too big compared to what I put in. I think at least for the OBD2 ABAs, the +4s are not the way to go.
FWIW, the specified gap between the OBD1 and OBD2 ABAs is different, OBD1 wants .6mm (24/1000th") and OBD2 wants .7mm (32/1000th"). I guess the wider gap for OBD2 is probably for a hotter spark to keep the plugs clean.
YMMV,
Brian

· Registered
21,499 Posts
Re: ABAs & Bosch Platinums (rickerbr)

concur on the Plats being junk.
But where did you get your gapping info? Bently? I amcuriosu because this is the first I ever heard of this. Is there a difference in coils between the OBDI & OBDII? A wider gap would be a different voltage from the coil, correct?

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: ABAs & Bosch Platinums (tdogg74)

Yep bentley. I got confused because I saw online the .024 gap and I could have sworn the book said .032 (which it does). I have the CD version and it lists 2 different gaps depending on OBD1 or OBD2 (still specifies the FR8DS for both though).

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: ABAs & Bosch Platinums (rickerbr)

Coil part number is listed as the same for OBD1 and 2 - 6N0 904 104. I suspect the difference in gap only makes a few volts difference. ISTR the breakdown voltage of air is around 50kV/inch, although it may be higher compressed.

· Registered
11,962 Posts
Re: ABAs & Bosch Platinums (tdogg74)

Me and my girl just went to get her car dynoed and tuned a few weeks ago and its funny I see this post. I went to the vw dealership i worked at to grab some stock plugs got the bosch and never thought to gap them or check the gap at all. so her car is on the dyno makeing some horrible numbers after I installed the plugs the night before, car is sputtering and all that good stuff over 3grand. So my buddy at the shop says yank the plugs back out check the gap and ill grab lunch. He comes out with a set of autolite plugs, looks in the book and says gap them to .028 (or whatever it is) that is stock recomendation. So I check the gap on the stock plugs they were at 45-50 so I gap the autolites to spec, toss them back in and bam the car isnt sputtering and is running a whole lot better. Someone had posted in the fi forums which plug to run and they were the 4 prong ones needless to say the box never got opened. I hope this helps you out a little bit
btw the plugs we used in her 2.0t are the same ones they use in their 900hp stang

· Registered
10,618 Posts
Re: ABAs & Bosch Platinums (quickhuh)

stangs aren't VW's...and certainly not ABA motors...and this guy has a stock motor, not a turbo one.
FR8DC and FR8DS are the OEM plugs for the ABA motor, the "DC" is a copper electrode and the "DS" is a silver electrode. Germanautoparts.com sells both of these plugs.
Enjoy.

· Registered
11,962 Posts
Re: ABAs & Bosch Platinums (Pagano)

Quote, originally posted by Pagano »
stangs aren't VW's...and certainly not ABA motors...and this guy has a stock motor, not a turbo one.

I understand that. I thought it was funny when he said the model plug for her aba and the mustang motor are the same size. And yes I saw it was a stock motor without a turbo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.