VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mk3 Jetta with an ABD Big Bore Intake & Q-flow bracket. I have tried numerous times (unsuccessfully) to stop the damn thing from rattling. The main problem is that the bracket never remains attached to the place it is supposed to be (inside of the fender), and it vibrates loose, and then continues to vibrate.
Has anyone run into this issue? Is there a fix? A better way to attach the Q-flow bracket?Are there any good replacements to the Q-flow bracket?
If I can't find a fix, i'm just going to order another brand of intake.
Thanks in advance for any help!
DrDenys

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: ABD Intake rattle - Mk3 -recommendations? (DrDenys)

BTW. I realize the intake sucks and that it'll always rattle on the strut tower...
I would just like to hook up the p-flow to the car so that it is STURDY.
The thing rattled the stock bolts (and several other sets of fasteners) out of their holes...
I just hate to spend more money on another intake if there is a possible fix.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

I have the ABD intake and the stock air box to stop the rattling against the strut tower I glued some grommet from my local hardware store to the back of the intake. In solved my problem, so for your entire setup rattling. Sorry I cant help you. My only suggestion is go back to the stock box with a K&N drop-in and ABD Big Bore intake.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: ABD Intake rattle - Mk3 -recommendations? (tenacious jett)

Do you have a check engine light on? I would think your car is running poorly with the silicone hose off the back of the MAF like it is, it could possibly dump metered air and cause your car to enter a rich condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: ABD Intake rattle - Mk3 -recommendations? (tenacious jett)

Tenacious,
Thanks for the post! That's one thing I was wondering - If the Big Bore would fit to the stock air box without modification to the intake. If it really does, I'll probably just modify the stock air box, or design a new air box/heat shield based on the stock airbox measurements.
Thanks!!!
DrDenys

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

It fits just takes a little wiggling

·
Registered
18 Posts

same thing is happening to me! i have put a total of 6 screws in there! but they have all come out... My dad just bout me this stuff.. it is like liquid cement(can find it in the local hardware store)... just put it all around the screw b4 you screw it in .. and put it on the back of the abd bracket that attaches to your fender.. and walla.. it won't come out!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: ABD Intake rattle - Mk3 -recommendations? (vdubnorub)

I have the same set up, same thing happened to me too, For the Big Bore, I took and glued a piace of fome on the strut tower between the big bore and strut tower, I took my time a carfully carved the fome to the shappe of the strut tower and glue it into place. Then i took and carve a recess for the big bore to sit in. No more rattel. The fome is called EIP fome and is not the cheap the block that I bought was about 8 bucks. But it will retain its shape for many years, so im told.
For the Q-flow bracket, at first I just took the braket off. Did not use it at all. naturaly that stoped the noise. Latter I took and cut a piece of steel backing plate and fitted it to the inside of the finder. Then took two bolts with nice size washers on the outside put them though the Qflow mounting bracket on the other side with the steel plate again two more stell washers and the lock nuts. This took some time, and was quite ocward. But six mounths later , no noise and its is still holding strong.
Hope this helps.
nate

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: ABD Intake rattle - Mk3 -recommendations? (Nat1267)

I had that problem too. I just fabricated a bracket that hooked up to the bottom of the q-flow bracket and the area below that. i used j.b. weld and self tapping screws to hook it up to the car. then i put fatigue mat inbetween the q-flow bracket and the side of the car. doesn't make any noise at all. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.