VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** Serpentine Belt Coversion KIT - TDI Adjustable Alternator Solution ***

Quote, originally posted by Adjustable Alternator Setup, ABF Spec, VW I4 »

The ABF Adjustable alternator set up has been sought after by many individuals. With some fervent searching and development work, sourcing the parts for the 16v enthusiast just became alot easier.
What is the ABF alternator conversion? Its an adjustable serpentine belt set up that eliminates the need to use tensioners and positions the alternator low enough to clear ITB's (Individual throttle bodies) on an 8V,16V or even 20V set up!
With the basic kit you get:
* BRAND NEW Isaka 90A Alternator with 1 year warranty.THIS IS NOT REBUILT
* ABF Alternator bracket
and is yours for $319US SHIPPED!
Additional parts to compliment your new set up can be provided at an additional cost:
* VW MKIV 1.8T Crankshaft pulley + required spacer - +115
* OEM OBD-1 VR6 water pump pulley - +33
* ABA/ABF bracket bolts that will allow you to mount the bracket to the block. - +32
* 6-RIB serpentine Belt - +29
* T6061 Aluminum Alternator & Water Pump Pulley - +99
NB : The Alternator as well as the bracket can be purchased separately and we have the means to source any serpentine set up from the ABA ac & the uber rare non-ac.

Please send me a PM when you are ready to order and remember the bolts and pulley's are additional.
Thanks

Modified by INA at 8:12 AM 11-29-2008

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Old Guy GTI)

Quote, originally posted by Old Guy GTI »
OK, I'm just learning all the nuances of TD's. What benefit does this serve, and what is cost/benefit ratio?

You are converting your v-belt set up to a serpentine belt set up.If you owned a pre 1994 VW long enough you would become VERY familiar with the hassles of the v-belt set ups.They are ugly,bulky and are constantly failing.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Re: *** Serpentine Belt Coversion KIT - TDI Adjustable Alternator Solution *** (INA)

is there a serpentine belt configuration that allows for an AC compressor. this would be for an '81 1.6NA w/o power steering. I get belt slip when the AC compressor kicks in every once in a while and i hate having to tighten the belts. plus a alternator upgrade would be nice. does the alternator have a W terminal?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: *** Serpentine Belt Coversion KIT - TDI Adjustable Alternator Solution *** (Levi20AE)

Quote, originally posted by Levi20AE »
is there a serpentine belt configuration that allows for an AC compressor. this would be for an '81 1.6NA w/o power steering. I get belt slip when the AC compressor kicks in every once in a while and i hate having to tighten the belts. plus a alternator upgrade would be nice. does the alternator have a W terminal?

Dont know what a "W terminal" is...

The only serpentine belt configuration that allows for the AC compressor is the ABA set up.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Re: *** Serpentine Belt Coversion KIT - TDI Adjustable Alternator Solution *** (INA)

Quote, originally posted by INA »

Dont know what a "W terminal" is...

the "W terminal" is the only way to get a tach reading on an older diesel, ie, non-TDI, since we don't have any sort of ignition system on the car to tap into for that.
TDIs should get their tach reading off the crank angle sensor, but people doing mechanical TDI swaps or running 1.6Ds, 1.6TDs, 1.5Ds, 1.9Ds, or 1.9TDs, need the W-terminal to get a tach reading.
and since all of these diesel engines are basically the same (basic 8V VW) this kit would work on the other engines.
not everyone needs the W-terminal, however, only if the car has a tach.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hope everyone had an amazing Thanks Giving!

Quote »

We have now reduced the price of the crankshaft serpentine pulley kit to $115US SHIPPED.Kit consists of:
* Brand new OEM 1.8T Crankshaft pulley
* Spacer for correct offset

No more buying cracked up old ABA pulleys

·
Registered
262 Posts

Do you have this?
"Is there a serpentine belt configuration that allows for an AC compressor. this would be with power steering. "?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: *** Serpentine Belt Coversion KIT - TDI Adjustable Alternator Solution *** (DogDiesel)

Quote, originally posted by DogDiesel »
Do you have this?
"Is there a serpentine belt configuration that allows for an AC compressor. this would be with power steering. "?

That would be the AFN set up.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Re: *** Serpentine Belt Coversion KIT - TDI Adjustable Alternator Solution *** (xero)

Quote, originally posted by xero »

the "W terminal" is the only way to get a tach reading on an older diesel, ie, non-TDI, since we don't have any sort of ignition system on the car to tap into for that.
TDIs should get their tach reading off the crank angle sensor, but people doing mechanical TDI swaps or running 1.6Ds, 1.6TDs, 1.5Ds, 1.9Ds, or 1.9TDs, need the W-terminal to get a tach reading.
and since all of these diesel engines are basically the same (basic 8V VW) this kit would work on the other engines.
not everyone needs the W-terminal, however, only if the car has a tach.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

did we ever find out if this alternator has the W terminal on it?

·
Registered
720 Posts

All pm's responded to! Clean up your engine bay and get rid of those nasty tensioners! Don't be shy to contact me with any questions or to purchase a kit! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Re: *** Serpentine Belt Coversion KIT - TDI Adjustable Alternator Solution *** ([email protected])

Anybody know if this will work on the MK3 TDI's? I'd love to get rid of the v-belt on that stupid thing and simplify the crazy pulley/belt system they setup on it or could I just buy ABA stuff and use those parts to switch to a full serpentine belt setup?
Lastly, do you offer any bigger alternators than a 90amp?

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: *** Serpentine Belt Coversion KIT - TDI Adjustable Alternator Solution *** (CDJetta)

Quote, originally posted by CDJetta »
Anybody know if this will work on the MK3 TDI's? I'd love to get rid of the v-belt on that stupid thing and simplify the crazy pulley/belt system they setup on it or could I just buy ABA stuff and use those parts to switch to a full serpentine belt setup?
Lastly, do you offer any bigger alternators than a 90amp?

ABA wont work because the alternator will be pushed into the fuel pump.
The ABF kit will work for you and we can offer it with 120A but 90A is more than enough for a Diesel.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: *** Serpentine Belt Coversion KIT - TDI Adjustable Alternator Solution *** (DogDiesel)

Quote, originally posted by DogDiesel »
BTW--
Would still like to see a picture of the AFN setup.

Going to be posting all this up soon for everyone

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.