VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the purpose over a 5-spd? What I mean is, my '02GTI with 5-spd cruising at 80 MPH is only about 100 RPM higher than the R32. I would have liked to have the 6th gear really drop the RPM's for high-speed cruising on a long trip, and better gas mileage. It's not like the HP/Torque can't handle it. So what's the point? Seems like you just row another gear while it makes 1-5 shorter. Am I missing something?

Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
Re: About the 6-speed tranny ... (noka648)

Accelleration matches torque to the ground. Torque to the ground is determined
by torque at the crank multiplied by the gear ratio multiplied by the final drive ratio.
The higher the gear ratio (low gears) the more torque to the ground, and thus
the greater the accelleration.. The R32 has a great big fat torque curve
and would be perfectly happy with a longer ratio 5 spd, but with a 6spd it's an
absolute rocket in the low gears because of the average higher gear ratios.
The gear ratios are what make this car fast *in spite of* it's fairly hefty
weight. It's geared more like a race car (which spends all of its time in the
high revs), instead of a highway cruiser. I for one, have no desire for
a really long 6th gear, especially at this altitude. The fact that the R32
will still pull fairly hard in 6th even being down 15% on power is one
of the many reasons I love the car. The fact that it'll make time stand still
like a video game, launching from a stoplight is another. Both are due
to the 6 speed's perfectly spaced close gear ratios.
ian

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: About the 6-speed tranny ... (Daemon42)

OK, I can accept that. Design tradeoffs and decisions made to meet design objectives, I guess. Still fun.

Rgds,
Norm

·
Registered
1,960 Posts

Daemon42>>
What are you? an Encyclopedia, a god, an enhanced human or what??
You are GOOD..... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
Re: About the 6-speed tranny ... (Zerek)

Quote, originally posted by Zerek »
Daemon42>>
You are GOOD..... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I second that

·
Registered
671 Posts
Re: About the 6-speed tranny ... (mad)

Quote, originally posted by mad »

I second that

What he said!
Talking about tranny. Is shift from 1st to 2nd not perfect all the time? I've had some notchy shifts at 3500 rpms with fully depressed clutch. Is there something wrong with my tranny?
I'm taking the car to the dealer to adjust the headlights later today. Should I tell them to look at the tranny?
Please advise!

·
Registered
155 Posts
No notchiness but...

No notchiness for me so far but I have been noticing a strange sensation when lifting even 10% off the throttle in 5th or 6th gear. Through the shifter it feels like the thing is trying to pop out of gear.
Never had this occur in any of the other manual transmissions I've driven, is this something to worry about?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

I was able to get a little info on Deemon42 aka Ian at the last Area 51 convention.
According to classified documents, "Ian" was the prototype in a program called Project Alpha. Project Alpha was created during the Cold War and its goal was to produce genetically-enhanced humans to function as "operatives" for everything from spying to winning the Space Race.
Alphas were designed using an admixture of sperm from Stephen Hawking and MacGyver. This sperm, in turn, was fused to a hybrid egg spliced with genetic material from Elenaor Roosevelt and Amelia Earhart. (No cryogenics back then? That's what they want you to think).
Project Alpha ran into problems as "Ian" began to mature. His high intelligence made him resist applications of authority. He would also become enthralled by technical detals, which would take him off task.
Behavior modification consisting of endless showings of the A-Team television show initially showed promise but was ultimately unsuccessful. Consquently, as part of the SALT II talks, the Carter administration agreed to disband Project Alpha.
Ian had his memory erased and was shipped out to Montana where it was belived he'd live the remainder of his life in rustic isolation. He now wanders from forum to forum on the Internet where he always seems to stumble into a crisis that requires him to use his heighted abilities to help others.
This all makes sence to me. I was part of Project Beta, which was a sister program to Alpha. It's goal was to create minimally intelligent "operatives" with hyper sex drives to invade the Eastern Block and degrade the communist gene pool.
Beta was disbaned because of technical problems. For example, "operatives" would get trapped in revolving glass doors or would continually stick their hands in fans and fire "just to check".
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Re: About the 6-speed tranny ... (R2-32)

Quote, originally posted by R2-32 »
I was able to get a little info on Deemon42 aka Ian at the last Area 51 convention.
According to classified documents, "Ian" was the prototype in a program called Project Alpha. Project Alpha was created during the Cold War and its goal was to produce genetically-enhanced humans to function as "operatives" for everything from spying to winning the Space Race.
Alphas were designed using an admixture of sperm from Stephen Hawking and MacGyver. This sperm, in turn, was fused to a hybrid egg spliced with genetic material from Elenaor Roosevelt and Amelia Earhart. (No cryogenics back then? That's what they want you to think).
Project Alpha ran into problems as "Ian" began to mature. His high intelligence made him resist applications of authority. He would also become enthralled by technical detals, which would take him off task.
Behavior modification consisting of endless showings of the A-Team television show initially showed promise but was ultimately unsuccessful. Consquently, as part of the SALT II talks, the Carter administration agreed to disband Project Alpha.
Ian had his memory erased and was shipped out to Montana where it was belived he'd live the remainder of his life in rustic isolation. He now wanders from forum to forum on the Internet where he always seems to stumble into a crisis that requires him to use his heighted abilities to help others.
This all makes sence to me. I was part of Project Beta, which was a sister program to Alpha. It's goal was to create minimally intelligent "operatives" with hyper sex drives to invade the Eastern Block and degrade the communist gene pool.
Beta was disbaned because of technical problems. For example, "operatives" would get trapped in revolving glass doors or would continually stick their hands in fans and fire "just to check".
Hope this helps.

but

·
Registered
3,187 Posts

LOL, I am sorry; I had to laugh. BTW ian is an engineer by trade, that explain his technical mindset.

·
Registered
671 Posts
People let's stay on topic please. Ian is the man indeed!
Does anybody have any input on the tranny shift from 1st to 2nd?
Mine is notchy sometimes.
Is that normal?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Zerek »
Daemon42>>

Was waiting for you to ask if he was a T-1000 cybernetic organism.
LOL
I think Ian just reads and researches A LOT of everything. His posts are always helpful. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

Quote, originally posted by R2-32 »
I was able to get a little info on Deemon42 aka Ian at the last Area 51 convention. . . . . . . . . .
According to classified documents,
Hope this helps.

LMAO, R2-32!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts

The extra gear allows closer spacing so the engine can remain in its power band. This is quite noticible when going from a 5 speed 1.8t GTI/tt to the 20ae/337. Whe going aroung a slow corner in 2nd gear the engine stays in its power band and accelerates much better than the 5 speed.
The R32 is actually geared lower than the 20ae/337/GTI 2.8l 24V in 1-4th gears. The extra shift with the 6-speed slows 0-60 times, but makes actual driving much more fun when you can stay in the power band and accelerate out of corners.
I am not sure how much a higher gearing would help the gas mileage. As soon as you put your foot into the gas the mileage takes a big hit. It is part of the price you pay to have a 3400lb, high hp, NA car.
If your gas expense is too high to handle perhaps you should look at the 1.8t models (20ae or 337). It is quite a shame that we don't get the 2.0l TDI with 140hp and the 6 speed here. This can be tuned into quite a nice package from what I have read.

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
Re: (1.8Transporter)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8Transporter »
The question still stands!
Ian please advise!
Thanks!

No, 1->2 shift shouldn't be notchy, but I've noticed that everyone drives
this car differently, and some folks have complained that the 1->2 shift
is a little abrupt when I think it's just a matter of driving style. I say this
because I've had a few other people drive my car, and noticed them doing it,
while I've adapted to it fully.
If you're actually having problems getting it into 2nd, then you might consider
doing a shifter cable adjustment, or have the dealer do it. If it's just jerky,
then consider just easing up on the throttle a little just before you put the clutch
in to shift out of 1st, and then keeping your foot on the throttle during the shift so
as to make the revs drop a bit slower than they would if you just took your foot
off the gas and then back on after the shift.
ian

·
Registered
18,552 Posts
Re: About the 6-speed tranny ... (michel)

Quote, originally posted by michel »
LOL, I am sorry; I had to laugh. BTW ian is an engineer by trade, that explain his technical mindset.

Not just by trade. I was *born* an engineer. I see the whole world through
engineer's eyes and always have, be the subject, cars, driving, photography,
R/C slope soaring, juggling, physiology, psychology or relationships. I'd rather
know the answer to something through my own research, experience and testing
than blindly trust the words of others and in the process have learned that there's
a number of things even in the physics and engineering world that are taken on
blind faith (and have been for a long long time) , which happen to be totally wrong.
"Authority" means nothing to me.
As for the car nut side, I was drawing cars and 18 wheelers in full perspective
by kindergarden and driving farm vehicles, and steering cars on the highway cross
country by age 7. My dad is a fast driver, and I figure I learned most of his habits
(good or bad) by about the same age. (I think all kids learn most of their parent's
bad driving habits by age 5) He'd do rally style turns (swedish flick)
in the gravel and snow with our old Volvo every day, or hand brake turns in
the winter to flip a U-turn in the middle of the street in town and slide sideways
into a parking spot on the opposite side of the street. Wheeee..

ian

1 - 20 of 31 Posts