VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to change my tranny fluid...[UPDATED: DIY Guide Linked]

Alright, I'm about to swap my tranny fluid in my 96 vr6 5spd. just want to make sure these are the right things to yank out and i'm doing it right...so tell me if i'm right...or tell me i'm forgetting anything...others wise it's just drain and fill...
17mm allen wrench to yank out drain and fill plug (fill plug first to make sure i can get it off)
2 quarts Redline MT90 (75-90 GL-4)
Funnel
All the pictures i've seen have some green plastic thing near the fill plug...mine doesn't? is that green thing for the 2.0's only? or am i really off? slightly concerned...
also, it looks like i don't have to jack up the car...just drain and fill...simple enough.

No green thingie?

Modified by Raider007 at 1:39 PM 8-20-2006

Modified by Raider007 at 6:09 PM 8-20-2006

· Registered
24,793 Posts
Re: About to change my tranny fluid...check these pictures for me? (Raider007)

The drain is on the bottom of the differential, so you've got that right. The fill is usually on the top of the transmission. I know for 2.0 tranny's it's right next to the linkage.
The green plug you're talking about is for 2.0's, as far as i know, and i NOT, i repeat, NOT where you fill at. The green plug is where you set the flywheel timing. If you put fluid in there, you're going to be needing a new clutch.
Also, on 2.0 transmission the green cap on the side of the gearbox(your's is black) is where the throw-out bearing is located. On a VR box it's different however.

5,219 Posts
Re: About to change my tranny fluid...check these pictures for me? (STORM_TROOPER)

you're right http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
now do it..
fill is on the side drain is on the bottom.. you'll want to have the fill hole open when draining so all the fluid will get out (venting the tranny). http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: About to change my tranny fluid...check these pictures for me? (The Gloves of Death)

Gloves:
awesome....sounds easy enough....

Storm Trooper:
i totally forgot about that forum...i just cross posted just in case...

· Registered
14,540 Posts
Re: About to change my tranny fluid...check these pictures for me? (STORM_TROOPER)

Quote, originally posted by STORM_TROOPER »
Why not hit the manual transmission forum in the technical forums?

because he would like an answer in less than a week

· Registered
11,962 Posts

which fluid are you using? i want to go with synthetic amsoil

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: About to change my tranny fluid...check these pictures for me? (quickhuh)

^^^^ Redline MT-90 (75-90 GL-4)
And done...
just got out of the shower...tranny fluid stinks...especailly when it's all over your hands...
took about an hour or so since the bolts were tight as hell...
easy after that...i could probably do it in 30 minutes or less now...
i'll do a write up later tonight...i had a friend take some pictures, no clue how they'll come out since i was under the car...but it's not as hard as it seems...
and I was about a 1/2 quart low too

that stuff came out dark

Modified by Raider007 at 4:05 PM 8-20-2006

· Registered
11,962 Posts

yeah that is what i was going to go with, i was going to use royal purple but i have read up that the amsoil is much better

· Banned
2,789 Posts

Did you put a tube on the end of the funnel and feed it down to the fill hole? I'm going to change mine in a few days. I changed the fluid in my audi and it was a pain in the ass! I had to use one of those guns to suck the fluid out of the bottle and squirt it in the tranny.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.