VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, After 2 long weeks of BS'ing with people back and fourth about what I should do since my stock K03 blew, I have come to the conclusion that I need my car to be drivable again, and I need it ASAP.

I have strictly $2000 to spend, and no time to be looking everywhere to piece together a kit at the best price. I need something soon that will work and be the best bang for my buck. Unfortunately too, I really don't have the knowledge to bolt this kit on myself, and therefore need to get a shop to do the labor for this install.

The two options I saw in my price range were replacing the k03 with a brand new one, or upgrading to the K04, and doing it with the most straight forward kit, the APR kit.

My car currently has 65k miles, a GIAC X+ flash, 3" GHL DP with 3" Magnaflow Exhaust, Carbonio CAI, and Forge 007 DV.

It seems that I am stuck paying for the APR flash because the GIAC software for the k04-001 requires new injectors, MAF, and an upgraded intercooler which I just don't have the money for both the parts and labor for those extras.

Unless there is some route that I have yet to hear of, it looks like I'm going to get this kit put on Tuesday.

Any last minute thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
yea just look at it this way the ko4 kit w/ software from apr is 1,529.10 right now on sale for maybe 25-30 whp gain .. the cts 50 trim is 2295 plus 750 for eurodyne software and 250 for 630cc and that will be good for up to 400 whp if you do rods and 350whp if you keep the internals stock ...

so its in all in perspective of price per dollar and effort also a big part is what you really want out of the car ...

like for me on a 20v its 830's and a 35r @ 26 psi but that may not be for everyone ... but i like it lol

oh and a vr gets the same turbo just different ar housing and same boost lol :laugh:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think a lot of it has to do with me not wanting to sink the money into a BT and have to worry about the car more. If I knew a little more about the internals of the car, and thought I could do some of the work myself, I would be putting the money into going bigger. but. I need this car on the road, and I need it soon. I think the APR kit is basically the fastest no BS way of getting a new turbo on my car and getting a little gain out of it. For the extra money I guess I'd rather just go the k04 instead of the k03s, just because if I can squeeze out a little better performance, why not.

·
Registered
627 Posts
its amazing when people say they have 2000 to spend. and you can get a much bigger better more volumetric efficient turbo and manifold for cheaper. you can custom make stuff if you put your mind to it and contact whoever makes software about custom files. apr is a waste of money. especially for 1.8t

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with me not wanting to sink the money into a BT and have to worry about the car more. If I knew a little more about the internals of the car, and thought I could do some of the work myself, I would be putting the money into going bigger. but. I need this car on the road, and I need it soon. I think the APR kit is basically the fastest no BS way of getting a new turbo on my car and getting a little gain out of it. For the extra money I guess I'd rather just go the k04 instead of the k03s, just because if I can squeeze out a little better performance, why not.
the little gains from the k04 are not worth the money ... just put a stock turbo on it .. you can get those for about 300 bucks here on vortex .... if fact i got like three of them kicking around the shop from cars that went big turbo

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
if you really want a k04, just buy a used one, I see em go for pretty cheap. Hell if you want buy my k04 set up w/ apr software so i can go bt :p nah...nvm I like my k04 it's slow, good daily as opposed to my stage 3 vr6

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Considering that my stock turbo went in 65k miles and I didn't even beat the crap out of the car, I wouldn't want to risk buying a used one and paying the labor again in another year when that one goes too. That's why I don't want to go used. People that end up going big turbo and tossing their K03's are probably drivers that drive their car hard to begin with, shortening the lifespan of the turbo.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
This thread is filled with useless nonsense.

The OP clearly stated that he does not have the mechanical ability/knowledge to install a turbo on his car. Suggesting anything other than a stock frame turbo and an 'out of the box' solution to someone lacking mechanical ability is asinine.

Just get the APR K04 setup bro. It sound's like it's what you want, and it fits your budget/situation.

Also, APR is a great company, and they put out great products. They catch heat because their products aren't cheap, and because their BT software is exclusive to their stage 3 kits. The reasons for those things are obvious and justified.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Op: do some research, send in your ko3 and have it modified to an eo5b. then buy a water meth kit and call It a day. You'll smash just about any ko4 setup :thumbup:
then save your money for uni or revo to take advantage of other tuning aspects later on.

·
Registered
215 Posts
you can try a GT2X. I used to run one with open wastegate at the track. It wont harm the engine doing that because these tiny turbos become very inefficient over 60 mph. GT2X turbine shaft claim 25% more durable than K04.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Considering that my stock turbo went in 65k miles and I didn't even beat the crap out of the car, I wouldn't want to risk buying a used one and paying the labor again in another year when that one goes too. That's why I don't want to go used. People that end up going big turbo and tossing their K03's are probably drivers that drive their car hard to begin with, shortening the lifespan of the turbo.

You don't have to slam it to threaten the lifespan of your turbo, not letting the car warmup/ cool down properly does far more damage.

I'd get an k03s

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.