VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a friend who has a 300HP Eclipse Spyder GT and he's wanting to race me in April when his local drag strip is open. I'm rocking an 05' GTI with an APR tune, 3in Turbo back, Magnaflow tip, Stage 1 Clutch, but really not much else. I'm estimating my power around 230HP/250TQ. His car is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier and so he's going definitely going to grip on launch better than I will, but that weight should help me get a head start (I'm hoping). I'm working with a limited budget, but I'm thinking I could drop about... $500-800 on the car in the next few months. I was wondering what you guys would personally do to try and and leave him in your dust? I will be getting brand new tires before hand and that's not included in my $500-800 limit.

I've had a lot of input so far from friends Turbo Inlet, Bigger Turbo (For $500... yea right), Intake/Exhaust Manifolds, Cone Filter or K&N filter, water/meth injection, I was thinking maybe a RSB would help me stay planted in launch? Maybe I'm mistaken though.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a car expert by any means. I have great friends who know the ins and outs of cars like the back of their hands and I have only just recently (when I got my GTI about 1.5 years ago) delved into the mechanics of vehicles. So far I've been hooked. I absolutely love this car and I plan on keeping it for life. It looks like a champ, drives like a champ and makes me feel like a boss leaving 2015 SS's and GT's in my wake. I'm constantly trying to learn as much as possible and I don't let my car buds do the work for me. I make sure they are merely instructing and lending a second set of hands when needed. With that being said, I'm not positive if there have been any other modifications to the car and am mildly worried I may buy a performance part and be replacing a performance part obliviously. I've personally installed a new driver-front CV axle, temp regulator, I would have done the clutch but didn't know most of my car buddies at the time and needed it fixed ASAP. I've replaced a few cracked plastic tubes here and there. Change my oil, filters and rotate my own tires (like everyone should). So really, I've not done any major work to the car myself, but I can't wait to get under the hood and actually be upgrading instead of just fixing broken parts haha.

Now that the disclaimer has been dropped, what would you guys do? I'm curious to hear from actual VW people.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The best thing you can do is practice. Other than that, a turbo inlet pipe will give you a bit more power, as will water/meth. Your power estimate is a little optimistic, unless you have a Stage 2 tune, but your power-to-weight and his are still really close.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The best thing you can do is practice. Other than that, a turbo inlet pipe will give you a bit more power, as will water/meth. Your power estimate is a little optimistic, unless you have a Stage 2 tune, but your power-to-weight and his are still really close.
:thumbup::thumbup:

def do a youtube or google search on water meth. the kit is with in your budget and it's a pretty easy install. and by far the best bang for your buck. now, im not sure if you need to be tuned for it or if its something you can just run with.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
that is a silicone aftermarket unit :thumbup: and there is no way to verify if you have a stage 2 tune or not. unless you get it re tuned. do you have a boost gauge in the car? anything above 10-12psi means it's at least tuned. if its an apr tune, they don't have a stage two. and depending on what engine code you have you should be around 215hp.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_golf18t.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That chart from APR has always confused me a tad. I was always under the assumption that the 1.8 T came stock with 180 hp. They are only showing 150, so I'm not sure where the extra 30 hp went.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
not all came with the 180hp motors. there are a few different engine codes. i know the awp is 180hp. but the earlier cars had some other engine/head codes, and are rated at different hps. i think there is a turbo difference too, like ko3/ko3s.

look at the chart below the graph, it shows the three different motors on the left.

anyhow, if your friends eclipse really has 300whp. you are smoked. you can get 235-250 on stock turbo with all bolt on's and tune. you can get 275-300 on a ko4/frankenturbo. and after that your stock cast rods fail,and booooooommmmm!!!!! so if you want 300 reliably, or more. save your money, do research about building your bottom end and slap and nice t3/t4 turbo on there. for now spend your 800 dollars or what ever on making your car reliable. bushings, break, tires, maybe some budget coilovers. that's more fun than trying to pull another 20 hp out of your car anyway.

in my opinion you already won... bc eclipse's are gahhhhhayyyyyyyyyyy lolololol, and eveyone know mk4's pull the most pusssssy!!:beer::D
best of luck sir
and read the **** out of this http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5187132-MK4Forum-Essentials-DIY-FAQ-amp-Resources-Guide

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
that is a silicone aftermarket unit :thumbup: and there is no way to verify if you have a stage 2 tune or not. unless you get it re tuned. do you have a boost gauge in the car? anything above 10-12psi means it's at least tuned. if its an apr tune, they don't have a stage two. and depending on what engine code you have you should be around 215hp.

https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_golf18t.html
APR used to offer a Stage 2. No idea why they don't anymore. I looked back at archived versions of that page and never saw a power claim for Stage 2 though.

Would a water/meth system require a new tune?
To get the most out of it, yes, but you could use it without a tune. For similar money, you could also do an upgraded side mount intercooler. The gains will be smaller, but it's easier to install, you don't have to worry about keeping a tank full, and there are no potential failures (water/meth can go wrong in several ways).

That chart from APR has always confused me a tad. I was always under the assumption that the 1.8 T came stock with 180 hp. They are only showing 150, so I'm not sure where the extra 30 hp went.
For reasons unknown, the chart on their site has always shown the 91 octane tune for the 150 hp 1.8T.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
APR used to offer a Stage 2. No idea why they don't anymore. I looked back at archived versions of that page and never saw a power claim for Stage 2 though.
I'm the third owner. The second, who knew even less than me did nothing to the car mechanically other than maintenance and said owner 1 was a military guy who had bought it knew and modded it, so it could be an old version of the tune. Unfortunately I only have Owner 2's words for my knowledge. He said Stage 2, but the guy didn't seem to know much and could have been trying to upsell.

To get the most out of it, yes, but you could use it without a tune. For similar money, you could also do an upgraded side mount intercooler. The gains will be smaller, but it's easier to install, you don't have to worry about keeping a tank full, and there are no potential failures (water/meth can go wrong in several ways).
How difficult of an install is the water/meth? How long would the reservoir last? Well, I guess that would depend on the size of my reservoir and how much I stomp the gas... haha

For reasons unknown, the chart on their site has always shown the 91 octane tune for the 150 hp 1.8T.
Yea, it's the only one I've ever seemed to be able to find unfortunately.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Slicks. I drag race and drag radials etc suck on FWD cars. Wheel hop destroy's more parts than anything else.

Stay out of the water box if running regular tires and drop the tire pressure to 20 or so psi.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't have to cash flow to justify buying slicks for a one day race, but I will definitely deflate the tires decent amount. I appreciate the reminder. I've got a list of notes and I had completely forgotten to write that down.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
How difficult of an install is the water/meth? How long would the reservoir last? Well, I guess that would depend on the size of my reservoir and how much I stomp the gas... haha
It's reasonably involved, but not crazy. I'm sure there are some DIYs on here for it.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
1 - There is a 0% that you will win a race if he has even a smidgen of driving skills. Your only hope is that he stalls it off the line.
2 - I wouldn't do methanol injection in your case, it adds complexity to your system and its just another thing to remember to have to fill up.

I wouldn't go about upgrading for the sake of a single/few races against buddies, i would focus more on getting a well rounded vehicle that is to your liking. Perhaps motor mounts would help you get the power down (if not already done), an upgraded intercooler may help you have more "fun" on the roads with your buddies in the summer without overheating the turbo, an upgraded rear sway bar wouldn't keep your car planted during launches but it would give you a completely different feel around corners.

Not performance oriented but more driving appreciation oriented: you could do a nice dvd/navi head unit, gauges on the interior, retrofit your headlights so that you can see way better at night and not blind people, upgrade your seats or steering wheel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OMG GUYS.... I was talking to friend #2 who helps friend #1 with his car and just found out he's automatic............ After hearing that last night I decided to go with less power boosting and more make my car feel better in general like a couple of you have mentioned.

Intercooler is absolutely happening, probably a RSB because dat body roll has to go and I'm thinking of maybe an adjustable blow off and possibly a rev limiter to keep myself from hurting the engine in the top end and to help launch when needed.

AUTOMATIC! I was so mad he had never told me haha. I was like cool... So I'm racing a 300hp go kart? Neat.

I'm going to pushing a lot harder to get a few more friends to come out and race though. One has a Subaru Forester Sport, also a go kart, but is at least quick. Another has a Subaru RS with a swapped in WRX drivetrain. He's the one I'm really interested to race at this point. We're are pretty comparable in power and launch feel.

@MechEngg I've already got an HID conversion on my headlights. They're super pretty and bright as ****.

If I could get some performance shocks/struts and an intercooler in my budget I would be happy, but I think the suspension is going to cost too much. I may just forgo the intercooler for S&S and a RSB for now. to make me feel like a totally different car in the corners. I am a delivery driver and this is my only vehicle ( I know that's probably terrible), so I would like to make sure my handling is on point.

So many choices T_T

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.