VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

as the title says, i am going to swap some mk5 leather soon. i am aware of most of the differences and have fabbed up some longer strikers to use in the rear once i pull the mk6 jetta trunk release system.

these particular leathers only have power recline on the driver's side, so i plan to tap a 12v for power.

the passenger side seems to have an extra connector though. can anyone who has done this swap shed some light on this?

do both or any control boxes need to be swapped? i am probably going to lose heat, and i am fine with that since i would have to swap the elements over etc.

i will likely lose airbags until the resistor mod is done as well.

my questions are mostly regarding whether or not i need to swap the black control boxes over, and what that extra connector on the mk5s runs.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

got into this a bit on the weekend

firstly, i am fairly sure the occupancy sensor is a pressure pad for the mk5s and not electric.

secondly, i am having trouble figuring out a way to either bypass the occupancy sensor or make it work. you cannot leave everything unplugged as the circuit remains open and seatbelt will chime relentlessly.

wondering if anyone has done a mk5 seat swap at all and can help. should i be looking at swapping the mk6 occupancy sensor over? or just figuring out a way to make the belt sensor connector work with the mk5 seats?

basically every.plug is different or pinned differently. i really don't care about retaining airbags or heated seats at this stage, but, i don't want a seatbelt chime forever either.

can anyone help?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
i am having trouble figuring out a way to either bypass the occupancy sensor or make it work. you cannot leave everything unplugged as the circuit remains open and seatbelt will chime relentlessly.

wondering if anyone has done a mk5 seat swap at all and can help. should i be looking at swapping the mk6 occupancy sensor over? or just figuring out a way to make the belt sensor connector work with the mk5 seats?
I had swapped in some MK5 GTI seats and never plugged anything in. I never had a seatbelt chime, just had the airbag light.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, did you end up running a power recline or were they 100% manual?

by comparison, fabbing up strikers to latch the rear has been cake compared to troubleshooting this electrical crap. can't believe how convoluted the wiring is for mk5 compared to 6.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
could it be that i only had one seat unplugged ay the time?
I think that might have something to do with it. When I was in the process of swapping interior, I had the mk5 driver seat (not plugged in) and mk6 passenger seat (plugged in) and it constantly chimed unless I had the passenger seatbelt buckled in.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I swapped MK5 GTI cloth Plaid into my 2015. For the wiring there is a sensor on the rail of the MK6 seats that I moved over, also cut and wired up the airbags, and then removed the seat heating element from the passenger seat and switched it over to the MK5 seats. The MK6 seats use a different occupancy system than the MK5. I have my seats wired up so no airbag and I still have heat (switched the heating elements over, not that hard).

What sort of latch did you fab up for the backs?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am going to have to find a way to wire up the airbags eventually. they are not a necessity, but, are certainly a nice thing to have.

the mk5 seats just confused the hell out of me. extra airbag steez, extra connectors, just very convoluted compared to mk6.

i currently do not have heat or airbags, but i did wire my power recline to the rear 12v.

as far as latches, i removed the oem cables etc. then i fabbed up two large, long strikers out of four strikers. you need roughly 2.25" of length in total from the striker base. then i mocked it up, drilled the rear sheet metal behind the seats and used the stock counter sunk striker bolts and a nut with lock washer on the rear. the jettas have some "access holes" already in that sheet metal. you will need tape and patience, but it can be done. then i slit the rear trunk carpet to accomodate them and they function and latch like a mk5 rabbit/jetta.

it was a pita to cut and weld two identical longer strikers though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i was wondering where you tapped the power for the recline? I have a mk6 seats recline is powered but its not working i switched it to a mk5 2009 can you help meee

1 - 11 of 11 Posts