VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
100% Suburban Dad Mobile
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 1/5 of the GR Corolla thread posts was about rear legroom. Here's what the issue was/is. Take a the Corolla Cross...a CUV based on the same chassis of the hatch (I believe) that has two more inches of rear legroom, and here's how it does with an infant carrier:

"Infant seat: Installing the seat via Latch was easy, but legroom was a problem. We had to move the front passenger seat very far forward to accommodate the infant seat. The 5-foot 6-inch front passenger had to sit with her knees against the glove box. "

Now you would think something that is 176" long and looks like this would be okay for a small car that fits kids+gear. I'm guessing this is why many small cars are sporting what was full-size rear legroom nowadays.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This is why when both my boys were in rear facing seats I had a MK7 GTI.

I never understood why so many vehicles interior dimensions were so tight compared to how large the exterior looked. I never really cared or looked into until I had children, but ever since it makes me cringe when looking at different vehicles.

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
11,527 Posts

I never understood why so many vehicles interior dimensions were so tight compared to how large the exterior looked. I never really cared or looked into until I had children, but ever since it makes me cringe when looking at different vehicles.
VW did a great job with the interior space in the MKVII relative to the Corolla hatch. If you go back to the 1980s and 1990s when there were more boxy hatches in the market, you'll find better back seats in some very small cars. The basic square passenger box may not look great or be the best for the drag coefficient, but it makes the car more useable.

The Honda Fit has a different problem. The back seat is huge and comfortable for me at a bit over six feet, even with the front seat all the way back. The problem is that the front seat is scaled for people under six feet.

·
Registered
100% Suburban Dad Mobile
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda figured it out, and gave the latest hatch the same legroom as the sedan at a whopping 37.1", with a total length of 179", which is five inches shorter than the sedan. Even the Focus hatch, the same length at the Corolla hatch at 172", had three inches more legroom. Just seems odd that a modern chassis seems to be lacking space.

·
Registered
46,063 Posts

Yup. I was amazed when we put a car seat in the last gen A3 at the dealer, my GTI has more room.

·
Registered
Corolla Hatchback
8,842 Posts
About 1/5 of the GR Corolla thread posts was about rear legroom. Here's what the issue was/is. Take a the Corolla Cross...a CUV based on the same chassis of the hatch (I believe) that has two more inches of rear legroom, and here's how it does with an infant carrier:

"Infant seat: Installing the seat via Latch was easy, but legroom was a problem. We had to move the front passenger seat very far forward to accommodate the infant seat. The 5-foot 6-inch front passenger had to sit with her knees against the glove box. "

Now you would think something that is 176" long and looks like this would be okay for a small car that fits kids+gear. I'm guessing this is why many small cars are sporting what was full-size rear legroom nowadays.

View attachment 196595
The Corolla Sedan is the same, more legroom. But its not bad. Its better the 2002-2007 Imprezas

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Funny thing is even my father in law's 2020 Suburban didn't work with a rear facing child seat behind him (he's tall-ish at just over 6 foot, but not super duper tall). Rear-facing child seats are just big. Glad to be out of them.
Again, minivans don't have this problem.
#TheMoreYouKnow

1 - 20 of 54 Posts