VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to all let you know that these parts are available and the pricing is as follows:
Front Spoiler $750 CDN approx. $650 US
Front Spoiler Lip (Carbon Fibre) $900 CDN approx. $780 US
Front Grill Surround (Carbon Fibre) $700 CDN approx. $610 IS
Side Skirts $850 CDN approx. $740 US
Rear Skirt (will only work w/ ABT quad exhaust & Euro Bumper ) $650 CDN approx. $565 US
Quad Exhaust $1550 CDN approx. $1350 US
Euro OEM rear bumper $375 CDN approx. $325 US
If you have questions or need to order please contact us via e-mail [email protected] or toll free @ 1-888-806-7978

Modified by [email protected] at 12:37 PM 3-22-2006

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: ABT GTI BODYKIT PRICING FROM PG PERFORMANCE ([email protected])

Love my kit! I'm in Taiwan though, so a bit less work to do to get it there (and I held off on the carbon stuff).

How much lower does the carbon lip make the airdam? Is its purpose to protect the airdam some?
Thanks,
Keeshee

Modified by Keeshee at 4:34 AM 5-9-2006

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (ceostar)

Quote, originally posted by ceostar »
amazing.......but so damn pricey!! is there going to be a rear lower lip for NA gti's ?? or we going to have to get the rear euro bumpers??

I just got a reply from ABT regarding this thread and they told me that they will be coming out with a NA version for the rear bumper so once its available I will let you all know.
We just sold a complete kit for all the items above so once everything gets installed we will take some pictures and let you all know how easy the install went especially with the rear euro bumper.
Cheers,

Modified by [email protected] at 5:26 PM 4-7-2006

·
Registered
889 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
ABT will not make a NA version unless we plan on buying over 50 kits therefore if you want the ABT kit you will have to get the euro rear bumper.
We just sold a complete kit for all the items above so once everything gets installed we will take some pictures and let you all know how easy the install went especially with the rear euro bumper.
Cheers,

Finally! someone answered my prayers!
old thread : http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2256521

·
Registered
4,153 Posts

Total kit = $5020.00 Precious United States Dollars.

Now... I don't mean to be well... mean. But I'm a rubber and plastics manufacturer. I run a decent sized plant here in Illinois and we outsource ceratin car parts to S. Korea where we own a part of a plant. With the exception of the exhaust (that's metal, stuff I don't deal with), and granted you have to buy the tooling... the cost to make for example the side skirts in a qty of 20-30 units would be about $15.00 to $25.00 per piece using polyurethane. Tooling might run you $500 from S. Korea. And after making my mark up to say $50-$65 per unit to the distributor (shipping already taken care of as part of the cost)... somewhere along the line an extra $600.00 -$640.00 was made.
Like I said, I'm not saying this to be mean. I've seen other kits out there priced pretty heavily. And I admit, you have to pay for your design team and testing to get this to fit right. But even with the design that we put into our products (auto-cad, logistics, manufacturing, etc...) this kit well... outrageous.

And I'm not going to do this! Because I think this write up is damaging enough. So don't ask me to do it... but for the heck of it I checked the prices. A group buy of only 10 kits would end up costing costing me about $1000.00-$1200.00 per kit tooling included. I could sell them for a hefty markup at $2000.00-$2400.00 per kit. There would be no carbon fibre trim, but a carbon fibre layover in the tooling would only add about 5-7% to the cost of the front bumper. And yeah yeah yeah all the DOT certs would be included... because that's what we do.
So, are these kits cool? Yes. Are they worth the money? Not for that much.
Would 10 people ever be smart enough to get together and contact a plastics manufacturer? Only if they had samples. Who do I work for ? Not telling

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Re: ABT GTI BODYKIT PRICING FROM PG PERFORMANCE (Kid Hobo)

Quote, originally posted by Kid Hobo »

Now... I don't mean to be well... mean. But I'm a rubber and plastics manufacturer. I run a decent sized plant here in Illinois and we outsource ceratin car parts to S. Korea where we own a part of a plant. With the exception of the exhaust (that's metal, stuff I don't deal with), and granted you have to buy the tooling... the cost to make for example the side skirts in a qty of 20-30 units would be about $15.00 to $25.00 per piece using polyurethane. Tooling might run you $500 from S. Korea. And after making my mark up to say $50-$65 per unit to the distributor (shipping already taken care of as part of the cost)... somewhere along the line an extra $600.00 -$640.00 was made.
Like I said, I'm not saying this to be mean. I've seen other kits out there priced pretty heavily. And I admit, you have to pay for your design team and testing to get this to fit right. But even with the design that we put into our products (auto-cad, logistics, manufacturing, etc...) this kit well... outrageous.

And I'm not going to do this! Because I think this write up is damaging enough. So don't ask me to do it... but for the heck of it I checked the prices. A group buy of only 10 kits would end up costing costing me about $1000.00-$1200.00 per kit tooling included. I could sell them for a hefty markup at $2000.00-$2400.00 per kit. There would be no carbon fibre trim, but a carbon fibre layover in the tooling would only add about 5-7% to the cost of the front bumper. And yeah yeah yeah all the DOT certs would be included... because that's what we do.
Would 10 people ever be smart enough to get together and contact a plastics manufacturer? Only if they had samples. Who do I work for ? Not telling

The retail price of body kits is always expensive. The brand-named body kits are more expensive than ever.

I would understand why ppl would rather spend money on rims and suspension than on the body kits.
In terms of development cost and manufacturing cost, rims and suspension are more expensive than the body kits for sure, but the retail price of them keeps dropping (I am talking about the aftermarket one), while the body kits remains as expensive as many years ago.
Even I can afford a nice and decent body kit, when it comes to the matter of whether a bunch of polyurethane worth that much, I become reluctant.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by Kid Hobo »

I appreciate your comments but I'm not the one that is setting the price its ABT and ABT pricing is always expensive as they are the leading VW and Audi Tuner in Europe.
I don't know if you ever looked at Porsche or Mercedes body kit pricing but they are twice to three times more expensive as ABT's.
Also ABT doesn't want everyone to have this kit as they consider themselves as a somewhat prestigeous Tuner and only those who are willing to spend the money get the ABT look.
I personally think the kit may be on the high side but the quality speaks for itself and the ABT parts will fit almost as good as OEM unlike some other bodykit manufactures out there.
Just because they look the same on the outside doesn't mean they are made the same or fit the same for that matter.
Anyhow we just sold a kit to a very happy customer and since he bought the whole kit we did give him fairly good discount.
Now, If anyone is interested in this kit and would like a quote on several pieces please let us know and we will see what we can do
Cheers,

·
Registered
4,153 Posts

Just because they look the same on the outside doesn't mean they are made the same or fit the same for that matter.

That's actually very true. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Dialing in plastic parts to "fit" is very difficult. It's actually easily explained. As the material goes into the mold it's very hot and gooey. When it comes out of the mold it has taken the shape of the mold, but you have to take into account cool down rates and associated shrinkage. (yes, I said shrinkage) It's one of the reasons why we fly our engineers back and forth from Korea during development to get things right.
During development we'll go through a couple tools sometimes before we actually get something right. Making parts like this kit are almost akin to art, because you sometimes have to guess how a part will shape itself once it cools down.
You see a lot of crappy kits (+ consumer products) on the market because the designers simply outsourced the part to the lowest bidder. Those parts are made with sub-commercial grade or recycled poly rather than virgin poly. That can make a huge difference in how well the material holds up when it's bumped.
Personally, from the few ABT parts I've seen, I think ABT kits are built very well and will last quite some time. I've never cut a small piece and sent it to the lab for testing. But from the outset their material and quality looks good.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Hobo recommended quality.
But the Hobo would ease off a bit on the price. But if they're willing to give you a good deal... go for what makes you happy.
Cheers,
KH

·
Registered
21,613 Posts

This is the biggest problem with VW's...all their kits are expensive - whether legit or not...its just ridiculously expensive --- especially since many higher end pieces require substituted Euro-pieces which adds 30% cost to some of the full kits.

·
Registered
889 Posts

I don't know if you ever looked at Porsche or Mercedes body kit pricing but they are twice to three times more expensive as ABT's.

Oh yeah, MBZ kits are ex-pen-sive! I remember looking for 190E parts and even the copies are expensive.
From my experience, VW parts are cheaper compared to BMW and Mercedes-Benz parts.
Quote »
Also ABT doesn't want everyone to have this kit as they consider themselves as a somewhat prestigeous Tuner and only those who are willing to spend the money get the ABT look.

Kinda like Veilside.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts

I want to start off this post by saying that I've bought a bunch of Abt parts for my Mk3 from PGP. They've always treated me well and were very friendly. So http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to PGP.
Paul, I wanted to ask you about the pricing. The prices you've listed are significantly more than those of NGP, who also sell Abt parts for the Mk5. The front spoiler alone is $180 cheaper from them. I was wondering if there was a reason for this..or if there is something I'm not understanding on the NGP site.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

Kudos to a great seller. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I've bought tons of stuff from PGP over the past couple of years, and their customer service has always been top notch.
My .02

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Re: ABT GTI BODYKIT PRICING FROM PG PERFORMANCE (nikocb)

Yeah....MBZ stuff is notoriously expensive. But then again, how often do you see a complete Brabus or Lorsinser car...they don't sell that many so they have to sell for more. Not to mention the "Benz" marque. There is a whole bunch of replica Brabus and Lorinser stuff floating around. I'm sure someone in Singapore will export a copy of this kit. Too bad it will be in fiberglass.
To clone a kit is a very easy process...you just need a donor kit. Now I'd like to see a replica kit in PU-RIM.
But like Paul stated above, ABT wants to make this exclusive.

Modified by Sincity at 6:41 PM 3-23-2006

·
Registered
19,751 Posts
Re: ABT GTI BODYKIT PRICING FROM PG PERFORMANCE (Sincity)

You can't beat Abt's quality, not for me but if you like it, it's well worth the piece of mind knowing you have the most durable construction on the market. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Re: ABT GTI BODYKIT PRICING FROM PG PERFORMANCE (kornjd)

Quote, originally posted by kornjd »
Kudos to a great seller. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I've bought tons of stuff from PGP over the past couple of years, and their customer service has always been top notch.
My .02

Pffaf in New Market also sells ABT's stuff too....but dunno how much they sell. However, if I buy something from B.C., the shipping cost sure not cheap. I dun trust Purolator. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.