VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AC stopped working a week ago. No leaks that I can find. The clutch on the compressor kicks in and it gets slightly cooler, but it just warms up again. Low pressure line has 50PSI and high pressure line has around 175PSI but it keeps going up and down 10PSI. Is it the compressor or could it be something else? Thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Re: AC compressor dead? (plohip)

This sure seems like an indication of a failing compressor. The only reservation I have is the low-side readings you quoted. 50 psi seems high on the low-side with 175 on the high. Maybe the pressure just happens to equalize like this with failing compression but I would be suspicious of the expansion valve. It sounds like the expansion valve may not be doing a proper job of metering pressures and thereby not giving you good cooling. If I were you, with the understanding that I don't have $500 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd replace the expansion valve and receiver-dryer and flush/blow-out the system first. These parts would have needed to be replaced regardless once you opened the system. After this, you can still change out the compressor but use you new parts you already bought. My $.02.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts