VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the other AC posts (guess it's that time of the year). I'm going to take my car to the shop for a check-up/recharge, but I want to be a little more educated, just in case anything "comes up."
My symptoms are this: I get nice cold AC when I first turn it on, or if the car is idling. When I start driving at normal speed (no hard acceleration), the AC is not nearly as cold.
My car was doing this last Summer, but I never took care of it. I'm not running my AC until I have it fixed (I learned the hard way by destroying the AC in a Mercury Topaz without any Freon in it).
I've thought about buying one of those kits and charging it myself, but I'd hate to spill any refridgerant into the atmospere. I also don't want to accidentally freeze my fingers off! (MY fuel filter experience has spooked me
)
I think I just need a recharge, but I've been reading a little bit about the high pressure and low pressure switches, which are just confusing me.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Re: AC Diagnosis please (cnap)

Actually, if the system doesn't have the proper pressue (ie you have no freon), it wont run
(first hand knowledge
). But beyond that, I can't help you, I had small cracks in my system, so the r134a would all seep out after a few months, and of course, once the refrigrant had all leaked out (after being rarely used, steals too much power
), something would always come up that would make me want to use it (rain, 110, etc).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts