VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I don't think I'm using the correct terms, so please bear with me. In an AC system, the air blowing into your car is cooled and dried. I think the condensor is where this happens?
Anyway, the moisture from the air has to collect and drain some where. I think my drain is blocked because after I run my AC for more than 15 minutes the air smells damp and musty, but not milldewed. After running for a while, if I turn the AC off and then back on, water vapor will visibly bellow out of the vents for a few seonds (this is deff. water, and not coolant vapor).
I see drops of water under car when I run the AC on a humid day, but I remember the puddle being a lot bigger last year. Where's the drain so I can check it?
** EDIT: I'm sure this has been covered before, but Search is down. **

Modified by cnap at 4:13 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Re: AC drain (cnap)

I remember reading here that there is a drain located against the passenger side firewall, there should be a flap (kinda hard to see) that the water drips out of. No exposed tube like on other cars, so it's a little hard to see at first.
*edit* found the post:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=975301

Modified by thecreeper at 11:41 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
7,636 Posts

The evaporator is the cooling unit. I found one of my heater core pics that shows the drain. It is behind the foil flap at the bottom of the pic. You have to open the flap with your fingernail. This drain is not the kind that clogs easily like A1 cars, though it can I guess. I think that the humidity is just not up to full summer levels yet, although it sure feels like it is.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Re: AC drain (A2B4guy)

Interesting...I had to do this just yesterday, when I noticed the cooling had dropped dramatically (and water dripped on the wife's foot). Flapper was stuck closed (has funk on it too), and a gaum of water poured out when I flicked it open. All is well now.

·
Registered
7,636 Posts

cnap-
I know why it seems less. Remember last year when you had to reconnect the vac line to the storage tank? Your recirculation flap wouldn't close and you were dehumidifying half of Orange and Durham counties. I guess the recirc works now and your ac is working better.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: AC drain (A2B4guy)

I think you're right. The AC works like a champ when resirc is on. It get's so cold I have to put the fan down to "1" and turn resirc off. That's when I start getting the funk.
I haven't checked the drain yet, but I think I'm going to give it the Lysol treatment like Hindenburg did, just in case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts