VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has been complaining that the AC sucks on her vehicle. I had the Freon filled on the vehicle. Today, she began hearing a noise under the hood and smoke filled the passenger compartment.
I pop the hood and start the car. I notice that the AC pulley is not spinning, though the serpentine belt is still sliding over the AC pulley. That seemed to be the source of the noise. My question is, does this typically mean the pulley is just stuck/bad, or is it likely that the whole AC unit is bad and is gonna be a costly repair?
The vehicle is a 1999 Mercury Cougar V6
VAG Content

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Re: AC Pulley Question (fatherc_chris)

most of the time you have got to replace the compressor. You might be able to get away by replacing the AC clutch but as cheap as the compressors are becoming spend the extra 50 bucks or so and replace the whole unit.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts

make sure you figure out the source of the "smoke" first. was it a typical dash wire fire? was it water? something else?

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Re: AC Pulley Question (jhayesvw)

Chris I can get you a compressor for $173 if you have a hard time finding one cheap.. but I won't install it
Working on a cougar is probably just as bad as working on a G60

·
Super Moderator
'17 Alltrak SEL, '08 BMW R1200RT, '96 VR6T Cabrio, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,387 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jhayesvw »
make sure you figure out the source of the "smoke" first. was it a typical dash wire fire? was it water? something else?

More than likely when the compressor locked up it was the smell of the burning belt coming through the vents.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Re: AC Pulley Question ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

More than likely when the compressor locked up it was the smell of the burning belt coming through the vents.

+1 -- if it smelled like burning rubber (or a Dirt Devil vacuum...), it's probably just a seized compressor and slipping belt...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Re: AC Pulley Question (CiDirkona)

Quote, originally posted by CiDirkona »

+1 -- if it smelled like burning rubber (or a Dirt Devil vacuum...), it's probably just a seized compressor and slipping belt...

or a missing flashlight

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Re: AC Pulley Question (KubotaPowered)

Quote, originally posted by KubotaPowered »

or a missing flashlight

hahah, touche...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: AC Pulley Question (ExklusivVR6)

Quote, originally posted by ExklusivVR6 »
Chris I can get you a compressor for $173 if you have a hard time finding one cheap.. but I won't install it
Working on a cougar is probably just as bad as working on a G60

Thanks for the offer Derek. I may have to take you up on it. Let me check and see what price our mechanic gives us.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

*Update*
The mechanic just quoted me a price of $1150 for parts and labor for fixing the Cougar. He advised me the following parts needed to be replaced......Condenser, Accumulator, Compressor, Drier, Orifice Tube and misc O-rings. Does this sound about right?

·
Registered
11,844 Posts

yes thats par for the course except the condensor.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts

meaning the condensor should be ok still. its precautionary to replace everything in the system in case its contaminated with metal shavings. otherwise they wont warranty the parts they put on i bet. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
11,844 Posts

take the car to az auto refrigeration, they are just behind the convenience store on the southwest corner of broadway and swan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts