VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend of mine has a 98 caravan he asked me if i can help him re charge his ac how do i do this?
thanks
mark

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: ac re-charge (NYCgolf)

You need to find the low-side fill port. Usually it's somewhere on the AC condenser. On most cars the condensor is this thing that looks like a thin radiator mounted in front of your water radiator.
Then you need to find the right valve that fits. Probably any kit would fit a Chrylser.
Turn on the car.
Turn on the AC full blast.
Be very careful not to get the refrigerant on your skin, eyes, etc. It's REALLY cold once it expands out of the can. Wear gloves, longsleeves, and eye protection.
Start pumping in refrigerant from the can into the condensor.
Stop when the AC air gets ice cold.

Your friend's '98 is a fairly new car. The reason it doesn't work now is because it has a leak. If it's one of those things were you have to recharge every spring then no big deal. If the leak is big enough to where all the refrigerant is gone in a couple of days, then you'd have to bring it into a shop.

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Re: ac re-charge (TabulaRasa)

the problem is the particles in R134A are so small that its very difficult to perform a dye test with it, so its not quite as easy to detect the leak.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i was able to use one of those generic kits
my question now is hwo long should it take ot empty the can?

·
Registered
4,665 Posts

How much pressure is on the high pressure hose? Also I have a very small leak on the high pressure hose what is the best ghetto way to solve this without welding or replacing it?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TabulaRasa »
You need to find the low-side fill port. Usually it's somewhere on the AC condenser. On most cars the condensor is this thing that looks like a thin radiator mounted in front of your water radiator.
Then you need to find the right valve that fits. Probably any kit would fit a Chrylser.
Turn on the car.
Turn on the AC full blast.
Be very careful not to get the refrigerant on your skin, eyes, etc. It's REALLY cold once it expands out of the can. Wear gloves, longsleeves, and eye protection.
Start pumping in refrigerant from the can into the condensor.
Stop when the AC air gets ice cold.

Your friend's '98 is a fairly new car. The reason it doesn't work now is because it has a leak. If it's one of those things were you have to recharge every spring then no big deal. If the leak is big enough to where all the refrigerant is gone in a couple of days, then you'd have to bring it into a shop.

yeah, but leak sealer in first, that might help if its a small leak, if you have a hole in the condenser, thats alot of $$$$, i've got a hole in mine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts