VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago I was in my car waiting for my girlfriend to come down so I was fiddlin around. I was turning on and off the AC a couple times to watch my RPM's dip down.
Its now nice and hot as hell around here and the first time I tried to use the AC, it didnt turn on. at idle, there was no click, no drop in rpm's and never pumped out cold air.
I'm thinking my fiddlin did something. What can I check for? Blown fuses or anything like that? My only other idea is maybe a rock hit it and blew it up. That happend to a friend of mine.
So yeah, basically, are there any common things that happen that I could look for and fix easily?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Re: AC stopped working (Arin)

1: Check the fuses and relays
2: Check the system and make sure it has pressure
3: Check your coolant temp sesnor. If it goes bad, it can cause the A/C to act funny.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: AC stopped working (Glenn J)

For the life of me I could not figure out what fuse operates the AC.
Also, how do I check if it has pressure and how would I go about checking the temp sensor? I really have no clue here.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Re: AC stopped working (Arin)

I spent some time and money before realizing my problem was the temp sensor. It's basically a port on a coolant line that a wire is plugged into. Unplug the wire and jumber across the 2 terminals and try your ac. On my 94 the port was right in front of the engine on the big hose by the radiator. When I replaced the hose the dealer had never seen one with the port there, so I replaced it with what they had and left the wire dangling, with no ill effect, until I needed my ac. Finally diagnosed it back to that sensor, jumped it with a paperclip and now my ac works again. The sensor is a feedback mechanism to cut the ac if the coolant temp get's too high.
As for the rest, I know a little bit, not enough to explain it here though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts