VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: x 10000000000

Finally video released from NTSB

This is almost become the most serious aviation disaster in history.

·
Registered
981 Posts
And the comments. "Where's this guy going" . In a tone I would use at a mall parking lot, not on an active runway.
Air Canada has had a bunch of near misses and ground strikes in the last year or so. Not all their fault, but still....

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,600 Posts
It was seconds away from being the next Tenerife. Keep in mind all those planes were loaded with fuel. I do notice a difference between the two videos, actual video shows the plane changing course while it's above the Philippines flight, second video suggests it was after. Without corrective action, I think AC759 would have clipped the tail of PAL 115 but not killing anyone, careened into UA863 and 1118 killing everyone thanks to both planes being full of fuel. Assuming a load factor of 83% (UA last year was 82.5% and I know from experience 1118 is a full flight) that's 477 people which is Tenerife range (583)...and again that's not including the plane they were almost on top of.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
This is why I hate visual approaches, and HATE ******* captains who insist on hand-flown visual approaches "to save time". Even if you're cleared for the visual, there is NO REASON to not be coupled up to some form of navigational guidance. Any jet has an FMS, you can always load an approach and VNAV to the threshold of the assigned runway, or at the very least, DIRect and VPATH to TDZE. Our company ops manual states "All visual approaches must be backed up with an instrument approach (precision approach recommended) and the approach briefing information strip on approach chart reviewed. When backing up a visual approach, ensure the correct runway and nav-aids, if applicable, are selected and tuned." Failure to do so is nothing but bull**** machismo.

Edit:

I teach that 'visual' approach is actually an acronym:

Verify
It's
Still the
Usual
Approach
Loaded

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
This is why I hate visual approaches, and HATE ******* captains who insist on hand-flown visual approaches "to save time". Even if you're cleared for the visual, there is NO REASON to not be coupled up to some form of navigational guidance. Any jet has an FMS, you can always load an approach and VNAV to the threshold of the assigned runway, or at the very least, DIRect and VPATH to TDZE. Our company ops manual states "All visual approaches must be backed up with an instrument approach (precision approach recommended) and the approach briefing information strip on approach chart reviewed. When backing up a visual approach, ensure the correct runway and nav-aids, if applicable, are selected and tuned." Failure to do so is nothing but bull**** machismo.
+1

·
Registered
515 Posts
And the comments. "Where's this guy going" . In a tone I would use at a mall parking lot, not on an active runway.
Air Canada has had a bunch of near misses and ground strikes in the last year or so. Not all their fault, but still....

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Because the pilot is a trained and experienced professional and nothing is to be gained by freaking out like an 11 YO child. Just guessing, but I have no doubt that his adrenalin level was through the roof.

·
Registered
E82M Coupe, A177 A35 Hatch
5,039 Posts
I haven’t done a visual in a long time. I think major airlines around the world tend to be less receptive to them now. The side effect though is that handling skills are being slowly eroded, but it has reduced the number of incidents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Because the pilot is a trained and experienced professional and nothing is to be gained by freaking out like an 11 YO child. Just guessing, but I have no doubt that his adrenalin level was through the roof.
, I think AC759 would have clipped the tail of PAL 115 but not killing anyone, careened into UA863 and 1118 killing everyone thanks to both planes being full of fuel. Assuming a load factor of 83% (UA last year was 82.5% and I know from experience 1118 is a full flight) that's 477 people which is Tenerife range (583)...and again that's not including the plane they were almost on top of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts