VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sis picked up a 86 Cab and I drove it today for the first time and I couldn't believe how much effort it took to give it some gas. I swear you had to put over 100lbs of pressure to get it to budge. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: accelerator extremely difficult to push (76 Golf GTi)

Does the throttle linkage on the engine move freely? If so, check the throttle cable then the accelerator pedal. My guess is the cable.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Re: accelerator extremely difficult to push (VWCaddy)

Cable man.
My dad just picked up a sweet 92GTI 2L 16v and it had this problem pretty bad - like three to four times the pedal effort required on the BRAKES of my old GTI to get the accelerator to move!!!!! Rather than replace the cable or anything drastic, I just took off the little nubby accelerator bushing and sprayed WD-40 (GOBS of it) down the cable and worked it in pretty good, then sprayed more down and into it, then more all over it, and more and more, and then put it all back together.
Smoove as buttah.
-Sean

·
Registered
3,584 Posts

If it were me;
I would take out that throttle cable and throw it in the trash and install a new cable.
Why you ask? Throttle cables do fail, it's happened to me.
Now about every 80,000 miles I install a new cable for peace of mind (no midnight breakdowns)
Good luck,
fat biker

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: accelerator extremely difficult to push (fat biker)

I'm with fatbiker on this one. Get a new cable. I just replaced what appears to be the original clutch cable on my car after it busted. I learned that the clutch isn't supposed to be as heavy as it was and now I have to almost relearn my timing because it's so light.... The same will happen with your throttle cable....
If you feel the need to continue using the cable you have, then spray it down with wd-40 to loosen it up and then grease it up as much as possible with some lithium grease or something similar.....

·
Registered
6,941 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Thanks.
Oh by the way it's Gefahr
[HR][/HR]​
yeah... just too lazy.. guess now that someone's noticed i better fix it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.