VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on selling my '94 Jetta with 140,000km (87,000mi) and recently had a cylinder compression test done to avoid any surprises if the eventual buyer wants to have it checked out. Turns out compression was an even 180psi on all four cylinders. Anyone have some benchmark results on what would be acceptable with this type of mileage? (No mods, engine still runs like new but the poor integrity of this car's electrical is costing me a mint)
Furthermore, do all Volks have a tendancy to run "hot"...temp gauge usually sits around 3/4 in traffic, fine on highway....thanks for your input!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Re: Acceptable cylinder compression on '94 (vw94)

well I 'm not sure what the baseline is but I believe its 200psi but its way better than my compression. I had 120-82-120-135, so I'd say your engine is doing real good, and that mine isn't

Thants what you get with 194000 miles

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Re: Acceptable cylinder compression on '94 (sbiggi)

I'm not sure about the numbers either but 180 sounds really good. The main thing is that all the cylinders are close to each other. As for temperature that does sound a little hot and a common problem for '94 was the thermostat. I'd pick one up and a new fan switch and just slap em in for about 20bucks.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Re: Acceptable cylinder compression on '94 (Fast2.0L)

145-189 is acceptable range for 8v ABA's. 200 is not un heard of because of carbon deposits.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Re: Acceptable cylinder compression on '94 (vw94)

VW 94!!!!, i get the same thing!!. Its been a problem since day 1!!, i picked my car up the showrooom floor, and ever since then it runs at 3/4 in city trffic, and at about 1/4 while driving on the highway!!. mines a 93. ON cold canadian morning the car takes forever to warm up. and on hot california summer the car never seems to cool down!!. LEt me know if you find the problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Acceptable cylinder compression on '94 (VeeeDoubleU)

I had the termostat checked out a little while back and was told it was opening and closing normally despite my claim that the car runs a little hot in traffic. I just had the coolant flushed and replaced and there is a slight improvement, but not what I was hoping for. I was hoping to get feedback from other VW owners to see if they were experiencing the same thing....seems the cooling fan is always on in traffic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts