VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Before you even think about turning the heat on: I SEARCHED the 2.0 forum and this forum with no result.
I need to change my Accessory drive belt (not the timing belt) soon!
Is there a DIY section or can someone quickly make one for me....
Again, I already searched could not find any!
Post links if possible!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
4,973 Posts
Re: Accessory Belt Jetta 2.0 HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!! (vasillalov)

This is ridiculously simple... and if you PM and ask nicely I just might take pics... I just did this Sunday myself, took <5mins.
Take your new belt, and I believe it was a 15mm box wrench. Use the box wrench on the belt-tensioner (there is a rectangular protrusion on the top for the wrench to go over)... then use the wrench as a lever... release tension on the old belt and remove. Let off the wrench for now... take your new belt and run it over the large BOTTOM two pulleys first, over the alternator pulley (small one on top), and around your tensioner. Then use the wrench to release tension and finally hook the belt over your A/C compressor pulley. And voila... should be on... double-check that the belt looks seated properly, then go ahead and start the car. Check again while engine is running... if the belt seems smooth&seated... you're all done.

Modified by digitalhippie at 4:18 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Accessory Belt Jetta 2.0 HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!! (digitalhippie)

Cool man! This is awesome info! Many
for you!
I have replaced the drive belt on a VR6 but the tensioner is bit different. It takes a bolt which you screw in to loosen the tension.
Anyway, this should be Easy Busy Japanese!
Quick question: What do you think about these new GATOR (quiet) belts that they sell @ advancedautoparts? Are they any good or shall I stick to OEM?
Also, did you have to remove any of the splashguards or I can do it from the top of the engine bay?

·
Banned
4,973 Posts

I have no lower splashguard thanks to Garvey Auto VW in Queensbury NY (YOU ****ING BASTARDS, GO TO HELL!!!!)
lol... I used the OEM belt because AutoZone here didn't carry a replacement, so I have no opinion of the other belts... and yes, it'd be easier if you remove the splashguard but you can probably do it all from the top (don't even need to take off the engine cover).

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Accessory Belt Jetta 2.0 HELP NEEDED!!!!!!!!!!! (digitalhippie)

Thanks, I will keep this in mind!
Again many many thanks for your help! You are a true texer!

·
Registered
121 Posts

Dude unless you have hands like a hobbit you can easily do everything form the top with the motor shield on. Invest in some mechanics gloves too and you'll be happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts