VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my A3 got gorged (driver side rear panel just above the wheel well) yesterday by someone driving a rented truck and it almost looks like Wolverine could have done it with his claws.
Got all his info and a police report was filed. Contacted my insurance and now I'm trying to figure out what my next steps are. Do I go ahead and try to get panel replaced (it doesn't look like it can be fixed) now or wait?
Geico is telling me I can go ahead file a claim and pay it out of my insurance. I asked shouldn't the other parties insurance be paying and they're saying I can go either way.
Any advise? I've never had an accident before so this whole process is new to me.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Re: Accident Advise (27spots)

Last time I had to go through this, State Farm recommended places to get the bodywork done, they approved the quote, they assured me the other insurance company would pay because it was their fault, I got the work done, the bodyshop had me undersign with a credit card, but said they should be able to collect from insurance w/o problem, and that's the way it went.
I never had to call the other party, or their insurance agent at all. Not sure this is how it's supposed to go, but if it's not your fault, and Geico is saying you could pay for it, that sends up flags for me. You shouldn't be paying a dime.
Good luck.

Modified by KnockKnock at 8:07 AM 8/17/2009

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
You should have not called your insurance but instead call the other person's insurance and try to get a claim through him. The accident has nothing to do with the fault of being yours and your insurance does not have to get involved or even know you were in an accident.
You shouldn't even have given your insurance information to the other person because he could have made a claim against you with your insurance company.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Re: Accident Advise (27spots)

File a claim with Geico and let them pay for the work. They will then go after the other parties insurance. Do not pay for this yourself. Have the Geico adjuster inspect the car. Bring the car to your local Audi facility.Have Audi deal with Geico and let Geico deal with the other car. You stay out of it!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Re: (LWNY)

Your insurance company is there to cover your problems that were your fault AND to act on your behalf when someone else is at fault. I was in a jetta and I got nailed by a bronco who ran a red light. Totalled the car. I was told by my insurance company that they would be paying for the replacement value of my car and an agreed upon compensation for my minor injury (Airbag cover smacked my thumb pretty hard). They would probably get the money from the insurance company of the other driver but it was not my problem. It was the responsibility of my insurance company to see that I was compensated AND it was their responsibility to get the money from the responsibile party.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Re: (MisterJJ)

You insurance company is not going to fight tooth and nails for your claim. They could just pay you off and after it is all said and done, claim it as being paid out of your insurance. By then, it is too late and you have a strike against you already.
Here in NY, we have no fault insurance for liability, so your insurance pays your own injury related issues, (along with tons of hucksters taking advantage of the no questions asked claims).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.