VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been away for quite a while now but I still own and love my TReg... Fell off the face of the earth, but that's what two kids will do to ya...
Here's the story... (Look below if you want to just see the questions)
Driving down one of our major roads in West Orange, NJ (Northfield Ave), I crossed an intersection (Gregory Ave). The light was green and I was going downhill comfortably. The other car (
) was driving up the road and decided to just take a left turn and hope that the laws of physics would not apply just this once..

I have to commend the TReg as it maneuvered well in my attempts to avoid a head-on collision. It also slowed fairly well considering the very short notice I had. The other car (97 Saab Turbo) struck us on the driver-side of the car causing all sorts of damage from the front fender, through both the driver and passenger doors and the rear wheel. All involved were apparently uninjured (thank g_d... I had the wife and kids with me). The most concerning of the damage is a slight pushing in of the side pillar and the bottom door entry/frame/whatnot (~1-1.5").
The car is now at the shop with an assessment of ~$7k in damage. The car is 5 yrs old (finished paying for it last week
) and has only 53k miles on it.
For the record, the police report shows the other guy was at fault (which he freely admitted stating: "I spaced out...").
Here are my questions:
1. Has anyone had experience with cases of diminished value? I was told this is a property case like any other and plan to consult a lawyer. I also saw quite a few web sites advertising help in this space, but they look a little shady.
2. Can anyone take a guess to what the diminished value in this case would be?
3. Any general advice on do's and dont's in handling this with the insurance, body shop (of my choice, btw). etc?
4. The appraiser cited replacement of the rear tire as well as the wheel which sustained some serious scuffs. Problem is I cant find another Nokian WR 235/65 17 XL to match the other 3. Another problem is that the other 3 are already 2 yrs old. Any advice on how to source such a tire and how significant it will be to have tires of different wear/tear?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Re: Accident :-( Need some guidance guys... (Uriah)

Uri,
Speaking for the tire, I would take the betterment from the insurance company and buy four new tires. The remaining three, with two years' wear, are probably going to be due for replacement in the next year anyway. If you want, put the remaining three on eBay and someone who may just need "a" tire will buy them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Accident :-( Need some guidance guys... (chrisj428)

You can always dispute with the insurance that they need to get you all 4 tires as you should not replace only 1. Any reputable tire shop will give you a report saying you can't replace only 1 and keep the other 3 because the difference of wear.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: Accident :-( Need some guidance guys... (frviana)

Quote, originally posted by frviana »
You can always dispute with the insurance that they need to get you all 4 tires as you should not replace only 1. Any reputable tire shop will give you a report saying you can't replace only 1 and keep the other 3 because the difference of wear.

Hell, the manual even says the tires can't be of grossly different diameters.
Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts