VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I was teaching my wife to put our new Gladiator into 4 low and she just shifted all the way through from 4H to 4L without putting the main transmission into neutral. We were going the recommended 2-3 miles an hour though... Wondering how much damage, if any, that caused. No new noises and I was able to shift in and out of 4H and 4L successfully the proper way a couple of times. Just wondering what the consequences are. Any inside info as to what happens in the transmission when someone does this would be helpful for my own knowledge too.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'm going to say you are fine, sometimes t-cases will only engage the low range at a slow roll. As long as you're not going about 10mph and the front and rear output shafts of the transfer case are turning at the same speed (e.g the rear axle isn't spinning faster than the front wheels) you're not going to damage anything. You can expect some grinding and binding when engaging 4Low it's perfectly normal.

Here's a great vidya on the JK but it's the same stuff as the JT/JL

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Long story short, I was teaching my wife to put our new Gladiator into 4 low and she just shifted all the way through from 4H to 4L without putting the main transmission into neutral. We were going the recommended 2-3 miles an hour though... Wondering how much damage, if any, that caused. No new noises and I was able to shift in and out of 4H and 4L successfully the proper way a couple of times. Just wondering what the consequences are. Any inside info as to what happens in the transmission when someone does this would be helpful for my own knowledge too.
Congrats on the truck.
The gears in the transfer case are straight cut without any synchronizer.

As you shift the lever you're physically sliding the gears together.

By chance, you meshed the gears perfectly so it just made the gear change from HI to LO without any fuss.
It was either going to do that, or sound HORRIBLE. And even then, it was going to be fine, the teeth just got a little shined up on the one corner.
If the Jeep is in gear it'll just grind away, if it's in N it'll grind away until you stop rolling.
But you can't stop, because if the gears aren't lined up you can pull as hard as you want and it won't shift.
If that happens, keep a little pressure on the 4WD lever toward LO, and as you either roll forward or backward, or grab 1st gear, the gears will mesh and the lever slip back to 4LO.
You only need to move the vehicle or motor enough to make the little teeth in the pic get inline.
Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts