VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would share a timeline on the build, hope it helps a few doing theirs :beer:

The car static: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5119765-I-won-t-lie

So here are the goals:

1- keep everything hidden
2- maximize usuable trunk space
3- Maximize compressor noise reduction with Accuair Exo Mount and insulation foam
4- Easily removable wood frame
5- minimize frame weight

The toys (still missing the rear strut and Accuair Exo compressor Mount)

The build should take me a month ish, slow i know but I don't have much time with work nowadays :mad:

progress today: trunk cleaned up / come up with a frame design (two vertical boards in the spare tire, one holding the air management and one for storage compartiment) / assemble first frame support piece with curve for the driver side compartment door

ps: I'll be getting a donut spare tire for long trips and drive without one in the city since I'm covered with BCAA

Got everything laid down, storage compartiment at the bottom like i said earlier and air management above with the Sub Amp sandwiched in between the two

Installed the rocker switch, not my favorite location but one of the few places where the cable can reach behind. I trimmed a little too much on the edges but it can barely be seen once the switch in place so i'm pretty satisfied

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
and that, is the beauty of the rocker switch.:thumbup:

looking forward to more updates.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
the only thing I suggest is place the manual button someplace more convenient. From time to time, i just want to raise the front/or rear. and you have to hit the button to get it in manual mode. It might be a pain if you have to open your door and take the fuse cover off each time.

I like the location of the switch, and your layout of the truck.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
and that, is the beauty of the rocker switch.:thumbup:

looking forward to more updates.
The rocker rocks, saved $200, girlfriend won't be confused, no need to look at it like the touchpad. It's just more time consuming to adjust corners but I will rarely do that anyway :beer:

the only thing I suggest is place the manual button someplace more convenient. From time to time, i just want to raise the front/or rear. and you have to hit the button to get it in manual mode. It might be a pain if you have to open your door and take the fuse cover off each time.

I like the location of the switch, and your layout of the truck.:thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks, I haven't mounted the manual button yet but I want it to be easily accessed of course, I'll find a good spot for it today :)

That remote thingy control my Iphone charger, love that thing, no cable to mess with, plug the iphone and click play, done ! :thumbup::thumbup:

It's the Kensington LiquidAUX deluxe model

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hopefully your using that shag carpet for the false floor.
hell no lol, IKEA is for homes...not cars :p

Pictures are hosted by dropbox, some companie block that website, try again at home :beer:

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My metal screws were too small to mount the sensor properly so I just did a quick grinder cut for the aluminum (no rust) extension. Hopefully I can finish the sensors setup this week end....SLOW PROGRESS LOL :eek::p

ps: thx to those who posted sensor placement pics here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...s-of-AccuAir-levelers-install(hopefully-a-MKV)

I used a shorter FSB bolt purchased at home depot: the OEM spec is M10x50mm

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Got the Passenger side sensor done today. I decided to mount it a bit closer to the front to avoid contact with the future notched frame hole

Here how the sensor is fully extended and fully compressed on Raceland coilover, Hopefully the Airlift XL doesn't extend more or I'll have to cut a longer aluminum bar

I had to mount the sensor arm backward to increase the tire/sensor gap when the wheel was fully turned left.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Waiting for the last shipment, hopefully next week :peace:

ps: if i'm not lazy, i'll finish the air lines and sensors this week end :facepalm:

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
subscribed, so far looking good, very clean .

1 - 20 of 113 Posts