VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

201 - 220 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Its weird that there wasn't enough droop travel available to get the rear strut out without pulling the axle. There's got to be a better way, right? I think I would've tried using the "death sticks" spring compressors in the fender well to get the assembly short enough to pull out.

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Its weird that there wasn't enough droop travel available to get the rear strut out without pulling the axle. There's got to be a better way, right? I think I would've tried using the "death sticks" spring compressors in the fender well to get the assembly short enough to pull out.
Pulling the axle is standard and don't think I've read of anyone avoiding that step. You can't lower the carrier assembly enough without doing so.

Disconnecting the 2nd longitudinal control arm isn't required but it made it a lot easier.

On the plus side, it allowed me to discover the torn boot and while fixing it wasn't the most fun, it was the best time to do it.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Impressive work. Those are some difficult projects you undertook.

I had a similar experience in my car when I thought I needed a driveshaft, ended up needing the angle gear (transfer case), exhaust, and driveshaft and all of the requisite work to disassemble and reassemble all of those parts.

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320
12,762 Posts
Well that definitely makes me pretty certain I want nothing to do with changing out my suspension when it comes time! Love how detailed you get with the DIY projects, I've definitely used this thread as a resource since getting mine last month! :thumbup::beer:

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Well that definitely makes me pretty certain I want nothing to do with changing out my suspension when it comes time! Love how detailed you get with the DIY projects, I've definitely used this thread as a resource since getting mine last month!
Nice! What did you end up getting? Details?

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320
12,762 Posts
Nice! What did you end up getting? Details?
Ended up with a black 08 CS with 73k miles and a very interesting interior that I found in Manhattan Beach! Been slacking on making a thread but I'll get on that soon enough!

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,177 Posts
Ended up with a black 08 CS with 73k miles and a very interesting interior that I found in Manhattan Beach! Been slacking on making a thread but I'll get on that soon enough!
youdonemessedupaaron.gif

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Love your attention to detail when doing maintenance and upgrades.
Your dedication to taking photos along the way is commendable too.
I've done a bunch of maintenance on the SQ5 and my aircooled 911, but never have the wherewithal to take photos as I am doing it.
Would love to see some shots comparing the stock suspension to the Cayman R suspension. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Love your attention to detail when doing maintenance and upgrades.
Your dedication to taking photos along the way is commendable too.
I've done a bunch of maintenance on the SQ5 and my aircooled 911, but never have the wherewithal to take photos as I am doing it.
Would love to see some shots comparing the stock suspension to the Cayman R suspension.
Appreciate it.

If it weren't for cell phones with cameras and easily uploading to the Interwebz, none of this would be possible. Can you imagine taking photos with film, then developing them, then scanning them? No way Jose.

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Exhaust Mod

The stock exhaust is awfully quiet and since I didn't wanna deal with any emission issues, I ended up going with the Carnewal catback exhaust mod via Cantrell Motorsports in Seattle. Originally I was going to drive up there for another epic road trip, but decided I'd want to enjoy the exhaust sooner, so I had it shipped. For those who aren't aware, this mod takes a stock muffler, removes some of the baffles, and welds it back. From the outside, it looks 100% stock.

Now there is a Carnewal header upgrade too, but felt like this would be sufficient. And it definitely is. It could be louder, but this is a nice balance of being somewhat low-key while also providing aural enhancement to the driving experience. :thumbup:

Since I was taking the exhaust off anyway, I also upgraded the tips with an X-pipe for better flow. Cleaning/polishing the tips at the end of the car wash always feels like the cherry on top. I usually don't like chrome, but they work here. These are double-walled and should remain shiny as long as I maintain them. The ones with a brushed stainless finish have a tendency to fade due to heat cycles.

I'll now direct your attention to this installation video, including sound clip comparisons.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,177 Posts
Oh man, that sounds fantastic Kiz, good job!

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,916 Posts

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,200 Posts
Wow, that sounds amazing. Like, one part NY Philharmonic, two parts Cthulhu Destroy of Worlds. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #217 (Edited)
This makes me want to put a different muffler on the M54. Nothing crazy, just a hint of exhaust note.

Something like this - https://youtu.be/o2rGcXOvRUQ

Thanks Kiz.
I mean, I don't wanna sound like a dick but an iPhone on the dash to capture muffler audio is just...well, it's not ideal and I wouldn't make any purchases based off that.

A lot of aftermarket mufflers just make it louder, not necessarily louder & better. Not saying that's the case with Magnaflow but if you can find better videos or hear one in person, then yeah, enhancing that exhaust note is well worth it.

What's nice about the Carnewal mod is that it retains the Porsche sound. When I was searching around, I found some options to completely change the character of the sound...the timbre if you will, and that just doesn't jive with my OEM+ philosophy.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The “X” pipe and polished tips were purchased from Cantrell as well?
I tried to look, but didn’t see any upgrade options.

Link or pricing info for the add-on’s pls

201 - 220 of 430 Posts