VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This is the spec of cayman that interested me most! 987.2 base gets the 6MT compared to the 987.1 5MT.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had a 2008 base cayman, then a 2014 cayman s and now a 2014 base boxster.

My question is do you get the nice engines and belts sound out of the 2009 that you would from the 2008 and earlier caymans?

Before I got the boxster, i had 2009 and up in my sights. Just couldn't find one and when I did it was in the $30s.

I also think the base cars are more fun because you can keep your foot in the gas more.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Took this photo before driving off the lot after it was washed and prepped for me. See anything...unusual?

no, i don't (unless it's lack of a CEL or something like that); didn't see this answered yet (or i'm just blind)...

funny, you've seen my Z4C 3.0si and I was just browsing for Caymans this morning; they seem to hold their value better & are more expensive than comparable Boxsters...

well, nice pick-up OP, congrats :thumbup: hope to see it/you at the next TCL meet-n-drive!

·
Registered
20,598 Posts
Congrats! I love the '09 update to the Boxster and Cayman. The engines weren't only brand new, they got a good amount of power and torque for the base models with the displacement bump to 2.9L. As good & better than a 986S.

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I had a 2008 base cayman, then a 2014 cayman s and now a 2014 base boxster.

My question is do you get the nice engines and belts sound out of the 2009 that you would from the 2008 and earlier caymans?

Before I got the boxster, i had 2009 and up in my sights. Just couldn't find one and when I did it was in the $30s.

I also think the base cars are more fun because you can keep your foot in the gas more.
It's been a long time since I drove a 986 but there's more engine noises compared to the 981, however I had the sport exhaust so that pretty much overwhelmed everything else.

I removed the foam carpet above the engine cover a couple days ago and now the engine and induction noises really come through! It's a lot more engaging so I may do the clear engine cover mod later on.

I haven't pushed it too hard yet but it's arguably more raw than a 981 and going WOT is possible for a longer period. I love how the max torque is flat from 4500-6000 RPMs.

no, i don't (unless it's lack of a CEL or something like that); didn't see this answered yet (or i'm just blind)...

funny, you've seen my Z4C 3.0si and I was just browsing for Caymans this morning; they seem to hold their value better & are more expensive than comparable Boxsters...

well, nice pick-up OP, congrats hope to see it/you at the next TCL meet-n-drive!
Every time I've picked up a car from dealer, they do 2 things: wash it and fill up the gas tank. Seems silly to try to save $20 on their part.

What made you start looking at Caymans? I remember your Z4... didn't your brakes overheat on Latigo? I need to sit inside it to see how the seats feel. The ones in the Z3 were really stiff with no support.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,910 Posts
Every time I've picked up a car from dealer, they do 2 things: wash it and fill up the gas tank. Seems silly to try to save $20 on their part.
Shouldve bought from FJA, we will up all of our cars ;)

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Shouldve bought from FJA, we will up all of our cars ;)
Yeah, but would your finance guy say "awesome credit score, bro!" and proceed to tell me how "Porsche tires" are really expensive?! Hmmm?

I wanted to ask him what's a "Porsche tire," then let him know the Ventus V12s that are on the car aren't N-rated. But with 8/32nd in the front and 5/32nd in the rear, I got some time left.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,910 Posts
Yeah, but would your finance guy say "awesome credit score, bro!" and proceed to tell me how "Porsche tires" are really expensive?! Hmmm?
Its true you know. :eek:

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
What made you start looking at Caymans? I remember your Z4... didn't your brakes overheat on Latigo? I need to sit inside it to see how the seats feel. The ones in the Z3 were really stiff with no support.
i really want to own a mid-engined car at some point, and the P-twins seem to be the mo$t viable option...
my brakes got worked hard & very hot but never overheated, per se... my seats are fine, no complaints in 7 years & 70k+miles as my daily driver; dunno about the Z3 seats specifically, but those interiors just seem much, much older (and hence, more "classic") than the Z4 imo.

now, time for you to post some new pics to the 'gram ;)

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,402 Posts
Is it possible to over rev a PDK version of this?
I can't speak for a Porsche but VWs will not let the driver over rev with DSG with factory software.

A VW will automatically upshift at predetermined limits. I have never bought aftermarket DSG software. I assume that aftermarket software would just bounce on the rev limiter in manual mode and not allow an over rev event. The DSG will not downshift to the next gear until it determines it is safe to do so. Click all you want and downshift happen until it's safe.

An over rev event could be a concern with Kiznash's car since it's a manual. PDK not so much.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
I can't speak for a Porsche but VWs will not let the driver over rev with DSG with factory software.

A VW will automatically upshift at predetermined limits. I have never bought aftermarket DSG software. I assume that aftermarket software would just bounce on the rev limiter in manual mode and not allow an over rev event. The DSG will not downshift to the next gear until it determines it is safe to do so. Click all you want and downshift happen until it's safe.

An over rev event could be a concern with Kiznash's car since it's a manual. PDK not so much.
Fun fact -

The GMT800 trucks 1999-2006 GM trucks will upshift as well.

Even if you put the column shifter in 1 or 2, if you floor it and hold RPM’s for a few seconds it’ll start shifting through the gears like you’ve got it in drive.

Makes sense, especially when they were under warranty.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Fun fact -

The GMT800 trucks 1999-2006 GM trucks will upshift as well.

Even if you put the column shifter in 1 or 2, if you floor it and hold RPM’s for a few seconds it’ll start shifting through the gears like you’ve got it in drive.

Makes sense, especially when they were under warranty.
Will it? I had my truck in 2nd and I let off at 5500-5600rpm because it seemed like it definitely wasn't going to :laugh:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Am I the only one who's *not* disappointed you didn't buy the amg? I definitely think you made the better choice. Even if it wasn't that much of a choice...

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,166 Posts
Is it possible to over rev a PDK version of this?
Sure, it's possible, but it's unlikely. My understanding is that it will bounce off the rev limiter without up-shifting, but won't let you downshift if there aren't enough revs to do so.

I would think the wheels would need to be off the ground for an over-rev situation.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Oh I'm pretty sure no one was disappointed. Well, except maybe the dealer GM.
Lol tough titties to his bonus check! I'm pretty sure you got the superior automobile. Good choice I'd be lying if I said I wasn't even a tiny bit jealous - I don't commute anymore so driving is a treat for me these days, and that tdi.... She's a slug.

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Now that the introduction is over, let's get to it.

I was told the bumper holes were "already there" but the line item on the invoice indicating 4 screws makes me wanna throw the flag. :bs:

Even though there are some rock chips on the bumper cover, it's nowhere near bad enough to make me want to fill in the holes and respray it, especially since this is my daily so I ordered plugs.

Drilled out the holes to 9/32nd...

...and there ya go.

Next item was the clutch and how stiff it is. A friend told me how his buddy's 986 clutch spring broke and it became really tight, so I got in everyone's favorite awkward position to look up and nope, no issues with the spring (wrapped around a white piece). Doing more research revealed this is just how it is, unless the clutch is near the end (unlikely at only 7k miles old). Of course as I type all this, I'm totally used to it now.

I was getting the "service due" reminder but wanted to clear it since they had just done an oil change. This aspect of the Durametric software doesn't work on the 987s so I had to do it the old-fashioned way: pull the instrument cluster fuse for a bit. :eek:

Then I decided to change out the air filters and replace the serpentine belt since it wasn't documented anywhere.

Carpet removed.

Engine cover gone. 'tis dusty but I'm gonna hold off on cleaning the bay for now.

OK fine I did clean the air filter cover.

Getting the new filter to seat on the flange was tricky, until it wasn't, nomsayin'? :sly:

Now to the frunk and the cabin air filter.

While there, I used a coax cable to clear out the drain holes.

Now shifting gears to the belt. Aluminum handle bar removed (2 T45 screws).

Then one T20 screw for the plastic cover, which then snaps off.

Carpet removed revealing the other engine cover.

Of course they're 10mm bolts.

Access is...tight.

However, either the belt is super resilient or it's already been replaced once, and fairly recently too. Just look at it.

So it looks like I'll be returning the belt I got but while I was in there, I pulled on the tensioner to see how it feels. Felt good, man.

Inspected the power steering fluid. Hard to see but it looked tired and didn't smell very sweet. I'll have to look into it but guessing sucking out the old fluid is my best option. I did see a little seepage at the PS pump connection but I don't know yet how easily addressing that is going to be.

Applied a little silicone to the rubber gasket on the engine cover to keep it fresh.

Not sure how this cap got lost, but it's back now.

Last week I got the "refill washer fluid" message and without paying attention to its capacity, I added a mixture comprised of distilled water and the concentrated Porsche washer fluid that I kept. I stopped when it started to overflow from the filler neck and some poured through the fender liner down to the ground. Whoops. But then I noticed puddles for the next 2 days underneath where the reservoir sits and remembered that I accidentally bottomed out on a dip when going a bit too fast on an unfamiliar street. So I thought maybe I had cracked the reservoir or jarred something loose.

Took off the wheel and fender liner for an inspection.

Bump stop's tired of bumpin'.

Here's the reservoir. Everything looked fine, there's still fluid in there and I didn't see any leaks from the pump gasket.

Then I noticed this overflow hose at the top, which is below the level of the filler neck, so driving around must've caused all the excess to overflow. I guess I'll find out. Capacity is only 0.66 gal/2.5 liters in case it comes up on Jeopardy.

Also realized the filler hose comes out which makes positioning the reservoir a lot easier. Nice.

·
Registered
46,035 Posts
Lower it!

I would like to hear what you think about this 987.2 Cayman compared to your 981 Cayman S. When I bought my 981 GTS, I was also considering a 987.2 Cayman S but couldn't find anything decent at a fair price. I think the recession really put a damper on sales of them over the years.

41 - 60 of 430 Posts