VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

81 - 100 of 430 Posts

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
Yeah, I was just speaking to Ron's suspension comment. BUT the reality is that you really should do NOTHING to it other than maybe sticky tires. Enjoy it as-is. It is a fantastic car just the way it sits. Personally, I think Toyo R88s and some Pagid pads are the best bang-for-buck simple upgrade you can make to really make the car feel different. But that is just one man's opinion, and a man whose opinion is worth every penny he has charged you for it.

You know these cars well - so you know the only accessory you really need is the ignition key.
I’m rocking Pagid pads on my poor man’s bimmer. Does that make it a true racecar?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Pretty simple really: pull out the fuse for the instrument cluster per the schematic, sing the following: "the humpty dance, is your chance, to do the hump," then reinsert the fuse and you're done. You'll have to reset your clock but you can eliminate that step by performing this at midnight. ;)
If that's fuse B1 Electronic Ignition Lock, Instrument Cluster TRM30, Ts Weight Dectection, Connector TRM30 it hasn't worked on the 997. Still comes back with the service reminder.

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
If that's fuse B1 Electronic Ignition Lock, Instrument Cluster TRM30, Ts Weight Dectection, Connector TRM30 it hasn't worked on the 997. Still comes back with the service reminder.
Yeah it was the B1 fuse for me too. How long did you have it removed? I think I left mine out for 20 seconds but someone else did it for a minute.

This has to be done with the key out of the ignition by the way.

·
Registered
904 Posts
So for Cayman's, 09-12 is the shiz, right?
Yup! Bombproof engine, 6MT on the base, some hope of playing music from your phone, buttons that don't look like garbage after a couple of years, cool looking head/tail lights and no chunky/angular 981 styling. :thumbup:

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,036 Posts
Wow, you guys weren't kidding. That model year range is nearly impossible to find, especially in Manuel. Sheesh!

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,164 Posts
And what is wrong with the 2013-2016 Cayman? Less reliable?
Nothing is wrong with the newer one, but the older car is a little smaller and has hydro steering so some prefer it.

Seabird said:
Wow, you guys weren't kidding. That model year range is nearly impossible to find, especially in Manuel. Sheesh!
Due to recession, used cars in general from that period are harder to find as fewer new ones were sold. Given the discretionary nature of luxury sports cars, they were hit even harder. :(

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Got the car tinted a couple weeks ago with my standard choice: 3M Color Stable @ 20%.

I kept my US Mill Works license plate bracket from my 981, assuming I could re-use it at some point in the future. Turns out the 981 uses a different thread so I had to get a new threaded bolt. Why the change? :screwy: And why isn't this an international standard for a given class of vehicle?

Then did some recon underneath the car prior to order cooling system parts. The supply & return coolant hoses looked and felt good, but I still ordered new O-rings since they'll be accessible anyway.

Not sure what this white residue is...almost looks like dried up soap from an engine bay wash at some point?

Shifter cables are still in tact! Upgraded ones arrive tomorrow and will likely get installed this weekend.

Also ordered a bunch of LEDs to modernize the lighting, although I forgot to get ones for the footwells. Natural white for the interior, cool white for the frunk/trunk/license plate.

Measured the license plate ones just in case prior to ordering. Sometimes the dimensions are off.

Speaking of which, they were a little too long for the frunk/trunk. They still fit but not neatly.

For those wondering about the dome/map lights, the tabs are in the front of the housing (towards the frunk) and the plastic cover just pops off to replace the bulbs.

Glove box light was more complicated with this aluminum cover.

The ones for the license plate are the most satisfying and really modernize the look.

Then gave it a quick wash for the first time since I got it. Cleans up nicely. :thumbup:

I'm starting to warm up to the wheels. I know it'll look a lot better with a drop and eventually I may just get them refinished to go along with new bolts. Or maybe I'll get something else. I don't know, bigger priorities for now.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I can never get enough of seeing other people’s love for Porsches. Thanks for sharing it with us!

I think I might try out the LED license plate bulbs on mine. Thanks for the extra info on that.

X...

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,910 Posts
:thumbup:

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,092 Posts
The wheels cleaned up nicely! :thumbup::cool:
This.

What do you use to clean them? Regular soap and water, or do you have a wheel cleaner you like? The front wheels on my car get caked within a few days of washing them, and it's incredibly difficult to get it all off with regular soap and water.

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I can never get enough of seeing other people’s love for Porsches. Thanks for sharing it with us!

I think I might try out the LED license plate bulbs on mine. Thanks for the extra info on that.

X...
It's a great upgrade and you don't get any errors in the dash since these are CAN Bus bulbs.
This.

What do you use to clean them? Regular soap and water, or do you have a wheel cleaner you like? The front wheels on my car get caked within a few days of washing them, and it's incredibly difficult to get it all off with regular soap and water.
I've used Sonax before and still consider it to be good, however lately I've just been using soap & water. I've noticed some degradation of previous wheel finishes but that was probably due to brake dust and not the Sonax. Then again, I never let the dust cake on there for months at a time.

I say go with Sonax and rinse with warm water if you can, then apply wax, then you should be good to go with just soap and water (preferably warm).

81 - 100 of 430 Posts