VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm not asking for dumb kill stories or an engine war, I just want to hear some actualy drag strip experiences with your VR's (preferably non FI VR's) against the T's.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (VarLordahl)

On the road, I beat my friend's chipped turbo (autothority chip) once. At the strip, he beat me (we werent lined up) 2 out of three times by about .3 seconds. I still believe neither of us were driving to our car's limits...and if we were, 0.3 seconds would we the right spread anyways.

[Modified by djsilvera, 5:12 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Premium Member
6,527 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (djsilvera)

Well, last weekend my friends and I were able to find a dragstrip to race each other at. Well, I drive a vr6, only mods being GIAC, AEM intake, non-resonated neuspeed exhaust....one had a 1,8t with upsolute, viper intake, custom 2.5" exhaust and fdv. the other had a 3" custom exhaust, chip, downpipe, and some other stuff(pushing about 230-240 at the fly hp). well, the first race was me and the last 1.8t. We both had horrible launches, but he had nitto fatties on and hooked up. I spun almost all of first gear, but, caught up and stayed right behind him....he beat me by about 2 cars....then the first 1.8t I took with still a horrible, but better launch by about 1.5 cars.....I think with a better launch I could have at least kept up really close with the first one......

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (Vr6en)

I have beat a couple and some have beat me..... Just look at my 1/4 mile time in the sig..... I will beat most of the chipped 1.8T guys that have crappy 60ft times.... But the guys with 2.2 or better 60ft times will beat me....

·
Registered
13,721 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (climbingcue)

The fastest 1.8t's with bolt on's are in the mid 13's, I don't know of many VR's that are without NOS or FI. And any chipped 1.8t can go and run a solid mid to high 14 second pass
Mike

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (VWMike81)

if it is only a little difference between a chipped one and a vr6, why is it that vr6s are bagged on so much??? prolly after a 100, the distance between would decrease even more.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (DriversWanted)

i think you guys should stop worrying about 1.8ts and start enjoying your cars. this is getting old

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I LOVE BOTH ENGINES! Bought my VR for my reasons...2.8T
If I wasn't modding my VR and wanted to go quick fast 1.8T is the clear choice. Drag strip... me and my cousin have the same mods. Intake, chip, exhaust...same times basically. Me 14.6(with bald ass tires) and him 14.7. On the streets his second gear is SICK, but I gain back in third, even at fourth, and start pulling at top of fourth and fifth. Very close though. But basically we have fun on the highway with other cars and we do circles around them. Its funny cause they don't know what the FAWK hit them.

·
Registered
18,931 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (VRC-YA)

both motors are sick. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,721 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (jok3sta)

Another big reason for the big difference's are gearing...1.8t's coe stock with a 3.94 Ring and Pinion, well at least 2000 and 2k1 did, now the 2k2's have a 3.65 I believe. The shorter overall gearset helps acceleration!
Mike

·
Registered
862 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (VWMike81)

quote:[HR][/HR]Another big reason for the big difference's are gearing...1.8t's coe stock with a 3.94 Ring and Pinion, well at least 2000 and 2k1 did, now the 2k2's have a 3.65 I believe. The shorter overall gearset helps acceleration!
Mike[HR][/HR]​
wow, i did'nt know that, that's HUGE. if our vr6's had a 3.94 r&p stock, we'd be stomping on chipped 1.8t's easy.

·
Registered
9,899 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (schrickedVR6)

quote:[HR][/HR]Bill, which car is getting the slc?[HR][/HR]​
Silver one, and that is the tranny with the Peloquin.....

·
Registered
11,846 Posts

I raced on 02 AWP 1.8t and owned him every time. I got my ass handed to me by EL Romano Loco though. On the other race place I ran a chipped 02 with Intake and DV as his other mods and won, even from a roll.

·
Banned
1,252 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (goterps)

quote:[HR][/HR]Another big reason for the big difference's are gearing...1.8t's coe stock with a 3.94 Ring and Pinion, well at least 2000 and 2k1 did, now the 2k2's have a 3.65 I believe. The shorter overall gearset helps acceleration!
Mike
wow, i did'nt know that, that's HUGE. if our vr6's had a 3.94 r&p stock, we'd be stomping on chipped 1.8t's easy.[HR][/HR]​
hey goterps.... you might wanna explain this to some of us.
if..... a chipped 1.8T makes more power than a moddedVR (with the exception of turboed or NOS'ed VR6s..... if you put in th ame gearing as the 1.8T..... how would you be stomping on us?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (PatAWW01)

would you guys let it go before i start popping caps? seriously every flippin day i come in here and see a 1.8t vs VR6 war and its stupid. Both engines are awesome, both have advantages over each other. If you're so insecure in what motor you have that you have to go around and start crappy little threads like this then maybe you should have gotten the OTHER MOTOR. where do these threads usually get us? NOWHERE

·
Registered
353 Posts
Re: Actual Drag Strip experiences vs. 1.8t's (PatAWW01)

I think a lot of Vrs run mid to low 14s even my vr has run low 14s at 98mph before gearing and exhaust. I have yet to take it back to the track as it is not a drag car. Also a lot of Vrs make more power than you think just look at BillyVR6's dyno numbers 181 whp on AWE's mustang dyno that is pretty strong for no internal mods if you ask me. As far as gearing goes yes it won't stomp a 1.8t but comparing a 3.39 to a 3.67 or a 3.94 is a little unfair I think any Tech would know this. Case in point I changed the gearing in my 93 Mustang notch with its 347 stoker motor and dropped over a full secound in the qtr. So how does gearing not make a car faster, with the exception of needing taller gears to help spool a big turbo. These are both great motors and I don't care to make this a pissing match I have worked on a ton of VW motors over the years including air cooled monsters costing over 12grand. Point is every one has their choice and an opinion the problem is most people look at the other side as their enemy.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts

I was impressed with the 1.8t's The first time at the track I raced a kid that only had a metal pipe from autothority replacing something in his intake plumbing. He was running within 1/100th of a second slower then my cam'ed VR6. Now I wasn't as good as driving back then as I am now but impressive none the less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts